Thursday, June 27, 2013

St Lucia

What's more fun than going to a beautiful tropical resort for a week?

Getting to go with a couple of our favorite people!

Brad and I, along with my sister and her husband, spent last week in beautiful St Lucia.
The hotel was probably the coolest one I have ever been to.  
All of the rooms had only three walls and an infinity pool and fabulous views of the mountains!
Another cool feature (depending on your fitness level) was no elevators.  And being that the hotel was on a mountainside, that translated to lots and lots of stairs!  
To be exact, 337 stairs from the beach to the room and another 97 stairs up to the restaurant.  
We earned every single delicious meal chef Eli prepared for us!



Our first day in St Lucia was packed full of adventure.  After a tour of the resort and putting together our itinerary for the week with the concierge, we kicked off our vacation with a butt kicking, I mean jungle biking.  
Now let me just tell you, the bike is my least favorite piece of cardio equipment in the gym. 
 I am not sure why I thought riding a real bike in the jungle would be more fun. 

It wasn't.  

I sure that at any moment I was going to go flying over the handle to my death.  But luckily the tour was very knowledgeable about the area we were riding through and pointed out lots of different plants and gave us some of the history of the area.
So at least it was interesting as well as terrifying!

After biking, we went on a hike up the "extreme" bike trail.  Although supposedly one person (an Olympic biker) has actually biked to the top of this particular trail, I don't believe that it is really possible for a human being.  It was so steep, just walking the trail was brutal!

After the most wonderful shower I have ever taken, we mingled we the other guests at the Manager's Cocktail Party and then had the most wonderful meal I have ever eaten!

(Sidenote: 95% of people we met immediately asked if Catie and I were sisters and about half of those thought we were twins.  Another 4% thought Brad and Pat were brothers and 1% thought we were two sisters married to two brothers! 
And I just totally made up those percents.)

On our second day, we took a tour of the volcano and visited the mud bathes.  The volcano was not at all what I expected.  In my head, volcanoes are really tall mountains with a hole in the top.  
This one was not tall at all; it was more of a crater.  
A crater with smoking, boiling pools of water in it!  
Close by there were some natural hot springs and supposedly the mud from these springs will make you look ten years younger!  I don't know about ten years younger, but it certainly made my skin feel fabulous!

We also visited the Botanical Garden and Diamond Falls mineral bathes. I can't even describe how beautiful the gardens were.  The variety of plants and flowers were just breath taking!
We spent the rest of our week at the resort sailing, snorkeling, and getting in lots of beach time!

It was so nice getting to spend that time away with my husband and I am so thankful for the grandparents that made our trip possible!
When we returned home, it was difficult to determine who had the most fun week:  Brad and I in St Lucia or the kids with Nana!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Ok, so I totally want to go to St. Lucia now! And I'm stealing that red dress!