Friday, April 5, 2013

The 8 hour coma

Sometimes I have trouble sleeping.
Well, not so much with sleeping, but with falling asleep.  
And then staying asleep.

This is not really breaking news considering how many small children I have.
Someone always seems to need me for something really important like a drink of water or just to let me know a potty break is occurring.  
You know, stuff only mommy can handle.
  But honestly, it is not always their fault that I can't sleep.
Mostly it is, but not always.

Sometimes it's daddy's.

Like the other night when my sweet husband jerked out of the depths of REM to tell me that the baby was crying. 
Our 100% bottle fed baby, whom he heard first.
He wanted me to get up and "do something about her."

The next morning, I had to lovingly re-explain that one of the benefits of not breastfeeding is that I don't have to always be on baby duty in the middle of the night.
He keeps forgetting that one.

Anywho, after many consecutive nights of less than 3 consecutive hours and not nearly enough K-cups in my coffee carousel to combat brain fog, I had to take action.

It was time for Valerian root.*
Now the dosing instructions on the bottle say "take 1-2 before bedtime.  Up to 3 may be taken."

I was really exhausted so I took 3.
And fell blissfully to sleep.

The next morning I woke up sweating.
This is not a normal side effect of Valerian root.
But it is a normal side effect of having a small child wedged on either side of you in the bed.
Waking up to find John in my bed is not uncommon.  Although I usually remember him climbing over me in the middle of the night. 

Waking up to find Emma Jane - not so common.
She is generally my best sleeper.
  99% of the time she falls asleep quickly and stays asleep all night.

When I questioned her about it, her response (which she made all in one breath) left me a little speechless:

 "Well I sort of peed in my bed last night and when I tried to wake you up to tell you you just kept ignoring me even though I was rubbing your arm and saying mommy.  I just changed my jammies myself but I didn't know how to change my sheets and I really didn't want to sleep in a wet bed.  Is it okay that I crawled in your bed?"

Oops!

I think the dosing instructions should be modified to read:
"take 1-2 capsules to enjoy a restful nights sleep with no groggy hangover the next morning.  
Up to 3 capsules may be taken if you would like an 8 hour coma.
 (with no groggy hangover the next morning.)"


Moral of the story:  I should just up my coffee consumption rather than my sleep aid dosage! 


*If you have no idea what Valerian root is, it is an herbal sleep.  Usually very mild and doesn't leave me feeling loopy like Tylenol PM or something.

4 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

Awwww! Poor little thing- warped for life I'm afraid :) Bless her heart. You could look at it like you let her down, or you could see the upside and know that you were offering her independence and problem-solving skills. Well done you!

Emily said...

Awe, poor little EJ. Bless her heart. But I have to say, without naming any names, I think the parent who didn't take the herbal sleeping remedy should have picked up the slack there. ;)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Poor EJ....

And good to know about the Valerian Root...might have to see if it helps my 4 yo sleep!

Emmy said...

Lol! Well at least she took care of everything she could and thought of a solution, I think my kids would have freaked.