Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter Fun

We had a great time celebrating Easter over the weekend and of course, that celebration involved some fun crafts with my kids.

I love making craft projects with my children.  It's the kindergarten teacher in me.
But I have a confession to make:
I don't like dying Easter eggs!
 There.  I feel better now!

And for the past 7 years, I have actually managed to avoid the egg dying.
But the kids begged relentlessly  and Pinterest just made it look so fun!
(FYI: Pinterest lied!)
Not that I actually did any of the cool techniques I pinned.  It was all I could do just to get through the Paas kit!
But the kids had fun and the eggs came out pretty colors. 



We also made chocolate birds' nests (So yummy! But make sure you have friends lined up to take them off your hands because otherwise you will want to eat them all and I am pretty sure they are not calorie-free.)  

The kids watercolored a picture (and discovered a hidden message) as we talked about the Resurrection.

 And then we painted shaving cream eggs.


Ah, the shaving cream eggs.
 They turned out really cute, but I am still traumatized by the process!







Before I tell you about the horror that project turned out to be, let me first clear something up.

If at anytime during the course of this blog, I have ever given the impression that rainbows shine out of my ears or that my children always cooperate or that everything I attempt turns perfectly, I am truly sorry.  

The reason I say this is because at no point in the original blog post that this idea came from did the author give any indication that this project would be a nightmare!  
A horrifically messy nightmare!
In her defense, maybe it wasn't nightmare for her.  It's possible I just royally screwed this up!

Either way, I just want to say up front, that sometimes my ideas bomb.
This is one of those times!

Maybe the key is doing this with only one, school-aged child rather than five!  
Five children, including a set of 5 year old twin boys and my own little Tasmanian Devil!
Maybe doing anything with five children and a squeegee is just a recipe for chaos.

Yup, a squeegee.  
This project required a squeegee.
That probably should have been a clue.

I think in the future, any art project I come across that lists a squeegee as one of the needed materials, I am just going to walk away from slowly.  

Because no matter how adorable the finished project, the stress of trying to corral 5 children, up to their elbows in shaving cream and acrylic paint, is just not worth it!!

Next year, I am just going to stick to coloring the real eggs!  At least that project did not contribute any gray hairs to my head!

2 comments:

Emily said...

This is cracking me up! And FYI, I checked out that other blog post and, yeah, that lady made shaving cream paint wayyyy too hard. I've done it with my kids several times, as squeege free, I might add, with great success! If I can hunt down the method I used, I'll send it your way.

Emmy said...

Confession we didn't color eggs. I always did growing up but I dunno, I just can't bring myself to do it and the kids don't really ask so... yep pretty lame.