Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wax on, wax off

The other day I treated myself to a pedicure.

As my toes were being finished up, I said, "I'd like an eyebrow wax also."

The lady painting my nails replied with, "Okay, and your lip?"

"Um, no.  Just my brows today."

A few minutes later, my toes were drying and another woman approached me and said, "You want your eyebrow waxed?"
(Just so you know, I'm typing this with a Vietnamese accent.)

"Yes, please."

"Okay, I do for you.  And your lip?"

Really?!?!
I'm starting to worry at this point that all of my friends must secretly hate me.
Because surely a real friend would tell you if you have a mustache.

But I just smiled and said through my teeth, "No really, just my brows today."

She led me back to the waxing station and told me to have a seat.
After a few minutes a third (different) woman approached me.  
I guess the first two ladies were only interested in lips.

She says, "I wax your eyebrow.  And your lip?"

I really almost started crying.
I can't believe that Emily, and Cyndi and my sister for goodness sakes, have let 32 years go by without every mentioning that my upper lip is hairy!

"No.  Just. my. eyebrows. today."
I'm pretty sure my voice cracked.
And the waxing hurt more than usual.

When I got in the car, I did what an rational adult would do.
I sat there for five full minutes staring into my rearview mirror looking for signs of a five o'clock shadow.

And then I started calling my so-called friends.

Of course, no body answered the phone!

There really should be a special ringtone available for when your BFF is having a crisis, so that you will answer.the.freaking.phone!!!

Luckily, Cyndi called right back and after I blurted out my tearful story to her, she laughed uncontrollably for a few minutes and then assured me that they say that to everyone and I definitely don't have a 'stache.

And, she wouldn't lie to me.
Right?

4 comments:

Auntie T said...

If your brother hasn't mentioned it, you know you're fine! You're gorgeous and no 'stache.

Kmama said...

Oh my gosh. That's so funny and mortifying at the same time. From all the pictures I've seen, you definitely don't need your lip waxed. ;-)

Emmy said...

I would be so paranoid too after that-- especially since my little sister does get her's done, but her hair is darker than mine and she is just has more hair. And yes I agree with Kmama from pics you are all good :)

Anna said...

Hilarious! I was afraid you were going to have a bad eyebrow experience, reminiscent of our pre-prom waxing at Dillards (or was it Gayfers?)...sounded like a great idea at the time!