Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pink Pancakes for Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a favorite holiday in our house.  
Usually sometime around the day after New Years, my girls start planning their Valentine's surprises.  (But since neither of them can keep a secret, by February 14th there are no real surprises!)

One of their favorite traditions for V-day is having pink pancakes for breakfast.

Super simple, but a real crowd pleaser.  If you have girls, that  is.

Just take your favorite pancake recipe.  I usually make soaked grain pancakes such as these or sometimes I use the discard from my sourdough starter to make pancakes.  But my kids prefer the soaked pancakes to the sourdough.  

But really, no need to get fancy.  Plain old Bisquick works great too if you are in a hurry or you forgot to prep your pancake batter the night before like I often do!

So, back to pink pancakes.
Once you have prepared your favorite pancake batter, just add my secret ingredient:

a whole heck of a lot of red food coloring!
(Be prepared for your kids to bounce off the walls for the rest of the day!)

Or if you are feeling health conscious you could add about 1/4 cup of strawberry puree to the batter instead of food coloring.
  (But why dirty up the blender unless you are making these?)

If you want to be especially festive, you can make your pancakes into heart shapes.  But that has never turned out well for me in the past.

We save the heart shapes for their other favorite Valentine treat:

Sugar cookies!


The method for these is similar to the pancakes.  Simply choose your favorite sugar cookie recipe.  Cut the dough out using a giant heart-shaped cookie cutter and then add icing and as many red sprinkles as you possibly can!


Be sure to smile really big for the camera with your teeth full of those red sprinkles, too!

What fun things do you do for Valentine's Day?

I'm linking up with Smockity Frocks and the 4moms today.  Head over there for more fun Valentine recipes.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll have to give those pink pancakes a try...I have boys but they might like them too!

Jacquelyn said...

I've thought of getting those heart shaped cookie cutter things that you can use for pancakes, but I don't know it they work well or not

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I bet my girls would love strawberry pancakes...but don't the cookies on the sprinkles cancel out the food color thoughts?