Friday, October 14, 2011

Make Way For Snellings

Ok so I know it has been a million years since I posted anything on this blog.  And it is entirely possible (and probable) that no one other than my mother is actually even interested in what I have to say anymore.  (And even she isn't really interested in what I say...she just wants pictures of the grand kids!)
But even so, I have too many cute pictures of our trip to New Hampshire not to blog about it, so Mom, this is for you!

We just returned from our annual trip to experience all things Fall in New Hampshire.  We packed as much New England fun into 5 days as humanly possible, including apple picking, mountain climbing and leaf collecting.  (Blog posts about all of those topics to come!)

We also drove the hour south and spent a day in my new favorite city:


BOSTON!
If you have never been to Boston, you have to add it to your bucket list!  We had the most fun day there!  There is something for everyone: history, culture, great food, a wonderful children's museum, and we were able to walk everywhere (which helped counter the awesome food)
I absolutely LOVE Boston!  I was dreaming up ways to convince Brad that we should move to Boston, when something happened to change my mind.

You see, while I love Boston the city, Bostonians
Not so much.

Now, I don't say this to offend any readers that might be from Boston or the surrounding areas, but seriously...why are Massachusetts people (and by people I mean drivers) so angry? 

There was just so, so much honking!
Like the woman who honked at me and Emma Jane as we crossed Beacon Street.  (With 4 seconds left on the crosswalk timer, I might add!)  I mean, did it make her feel good to give the finger to a four year old?  Did having to wait that four seconds to make her turn really ruin her day so much?  What exactly is the point of honking at a pedestrian already halfway across the street? 

Anyways.

  EJ and I were far too excited about this place to let anything get us down! 

What trip to Boston would be complete without paying a visit to Mr and Mrs Mallard and Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack and Quack!
 (I could not convince the kids to get off the ducks long enough for me to take a picture of the sculpture!)

In fact John took a turn sitting on each of the ducklings.  Here he is teaching Lack the ABCs.

We even discovered the "real" Mr and Mrs Mallard in the pond. 
Unfortunately, there were no ducklings to be seen.  Emma Jane was especially distraught by their absence.  I tried to explain to her that ducklings are born in the spring and that the ducklings had simply grown up, but she just kept repeating "But they are supposed to be babies!  They are babies in the book!"

I didn't even bother pointing out that the book was written 60 years ago and any actual ducks that may have served as inspiration have long since gone to duckie heaven. 

John was not concerned by the missing ducklings.  Her wasn't really interested in the ducks at all.  He preferred chasing pigeons (which he kept calling ducks) and squirrels. 

Now John is a seasoned squirrel chaser and he thinks it is really funny when they scamper up the trees away from him.  He was not prepared for the somewhat tame Public Garden squirrels that are probably used to being fed by humans.

I have never seen my boy turn and run so fast as he did when that squirrel started to chase him back! (heehee!)

Squirrels, pigeons, ducks.
We had fun with them all. 

Thank you, Robert McCloskey!
We are all children again in the Public Garden.

6 comments:

Kmama said...

What fun!! I've never been to Boston and had thought about going sans kids, but your post is making me rethink that idea!

Danielle said...

wow looks like you had so much fun, my sister in law lives in Boston and loves it there too

Tammy said...

This is great! Boston is already on my list, and I can't wait to see your other posts about it! We're staying in touch with a pastor there that's starting up a church. It's super expensive, and really academic, so there's a lot of self-reliance and lack of "need" for God. But clearly, the angry honking is evidence to the contrary.

In New York the honking was really hard to get used to. All day, and all night. Bizarre.

New Hampshire and Massachusetts in the FAll! Sigh....someday....

Cyndi said...

So fun!!! I can't wait to make the trip!

Emily said...

LOL...seeing that picture of John and remembering you telling me the story is just hilarious! And I love his shirt, btw! :)

Holly said...

Wow, you went to places where they actually have FALL! How cool. :) Great pictures and story.

Your kids are growing so big!