Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I don't want to be tacky

Last week, my sister and her family came to Florida for their annual "escape the snow" vacation.
All the usual fun was had, including an adults only double date.
But I have to say the highlight of the week for me, was a little big girls only outing to the hair salon with Libby and this little munchkin.
Libby desperately needed about 4 inches cut off and Morgan just came along for the fun of it.
As Libby was sitting in the chair having her hair trimmed by Victoria, Morgan explored the salon.
"Aunt Lauren, what are all of these different shampoos?" she asked me.
So I read some of the bottles to her.
"Which one do you like best?" she asked.
I told her that I didn't actually use any of those shampoos. I need a color safe shampoo and those were on a different shelf.
She pondered this thoughtfully before asking, "Why?"
I replied, "Well, I put fake color on my hair and if I don't use the right shampoo all of my fake color will rinse right out."
"Well what color would your hair be if that happened?"
(BTW, while Morgan was grilling me with 20 questions, Libby was treating Victoria to her own endless diatribe of fascinating kindergarten thoughts. Five-year-olds are fun!)
Since my own next appointment with Victoria is still a week away, I was able to answer Morgan's question with a visual aid! I pointed to the hair closest to my scalp and said, "Do you see all of those gray hairs? That is what my hair would look like if I didn't color it."
Without missing a beat, Morgan replied, "Well that sure would be tacky!"
Thankfully, at that exact moment, Victoria was in between snips otherwise she probably would have scalped Libby! It took her a full 90 seconds to recover enough to continue Libby's haircut.
And during the grown-up laughing fit, Libby continued to talk endlessly to herself and Morgan stood quietly by, most likely trying to picture Aunt Lauren with a head full of tacky gray hair.
But I totally understand where she is coming from...
I believe I used those exact words when explaining to Uncle Brad why my monthly salon visit was an absolutely necessary expenditure!

8 comments:

Kmama said...

Ha! That is priceless.

Emily said...

Hahaha! Hilarious.

Emily said...

And let's see a picture of Libby's hair!

Emmy said...

Lol! That is too funny. And well my hair is pretty tacky right now

blueviolet said...

Oh my gosh, kids are so honestly blunt. Hahaha!

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Oh how cute! And now, next time Uncle Brad questions your salon visits, just have him call Morgan!

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Ahhhhhh.... Don'tcha love kids! :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh man, I'm wearing a hat if I ever meat up with her :-/