Tuesday, June 15, 2010

London Bridge is Falling Down

Libby really likes hopscotch. Her favorite part is seeing how many squares she can jump over in one hop. Yesterday, she was trying to see how many of the floor tiles she could jump over at one time. As always, her annoying little sister Emma Jane wanted in on the jumping fun.


The more Libby tried to keep Emma Jane from playing, the more Emma Jane shrieked. I was doing an excellent job of ignoring them letting them practicing their problem solving skills, when Emma Jane finally gave up and asked me to intervene.


Emma Jane: "Mom-my! Yibby's not yetting me jump!"

Me (without even looking up from my book): "Emma Jane, just go around her and jump anyways...Libby can't stop you."

Emma Jane: "But mommy, Yibby is bein' a bidge."


That got me to look up!


Me: "I'm sorry. What did you just say?!"

Emma Jane: "She is bein' a bidge."


I am pretty sure I sat there with my mouth hanging open for a minute or two, trying to process what had just come out of my three-year-old's mouth because seriously people, it sounded like she said witch (but not witch) as clear as day!


As I am trying to figure out just where in the heck she even heard that word, Libby pipes up and says, "I am being a gate!"


I look over at Libby and she is standing with her arms out and her legs spread-eagle, blocking the way. I looked back at Emma Jane and said, "Emma Jane, is Libby being a bridge?


Emma Jane: "YES! She is bein'.a.BIDGE!!"


Oh thank goodness!



13 comments:

Kelli said...

WHOA! That was a close one. This gave me a very good laugh this morning...thanks!

Killlashandra said...

Oh that's cute! I think it's fun how one thought of it as a bridge and one a gate too. At least they were playing together. ;)

Kmama said...

LOL!! I'm sure that got your attention really quickly. So cute.

Bren said...

That whole figuring out the word and really hoping it is not the word you think it is always cracks me up!

Beth Zimmerman said...

That was cute! So glad you are blogging so you will remember those moments because I know there were some years ago but the stories I thought I'd remember forever are gone now. Oh well ... we keep making new ones!

Visiting from TST and following now.

Beth
http://www.bethszimmerman.com

shortmama said...

Yeah I bet that was a "say what" kind of moment!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

We have had those same moments... What a relief when you find out what they are really saying, huh?!

Too funny!

Mrs. NB

blueviolet said...

I'm pretty sure I would have snapped to attention had I heard that too! What a hilarious moment!

Mr. Daddy said...

If there is one thing I have learned in life it is that you definitely have to watch out for them BIDGES...
ROFL

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! That is stinkin' hilarious! And you think it's bad being able to HEAR? Try "guessing" what your kid might be saying and coming up with all kinds of awful possibilities, LOL! :)

This cracked me up - thanks for linking up.

(And pay no mind to Mr. Daddy!)

Dysfunctional Mom said...

Oh how funny! Glad she clarified, lol.

Emily said...

This is still just as funny as the first time you told me!

heidi said...

HA! LOL That's funny!!