Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Poopy Pants

We are a pretty modest family.
Okay, I am having a hard time typing that with a straight face. Because if you have ever knocked on my front door, there is a 4 out of five chance that you have been greeted by someone in varying degrees of nakedness.

Although, at least with me the nudity is unintentional...that stupid glass front door makes streaking from the bedroom to the laundry room in search of a clean shirt risky!

A more honest statement is that we have a pretty modest daddy. The rule is our house is that while mommy gets no privacy at any time, daddy gets absolute privacy all the time.

Libby hasn't seen daddy au natural since she was about 15 months old. She got herself banished from our bathroom after trying to make a grab for the goods as daddy dried off after his shower one morning. (And totally freaked daddy out in the process! haha!) Emma Jane has never seen daddy naked, so up until the arrival of John my girls were totally clueless that there were any differences between boys and girls.
I was fully expecting all kinds of curious questions about what was under John's diaper, but for the longest time...nothing. Then one day when John was about 8 months old, Libby walked into the bathroom while I was bathing him and, after sitting quietly for a few minutes, she finally asked a question that probably been bothering her for a while:
"Mommy, what is...what's that thing...right there on John's leg?"
"That is his penis." I replied.
Thankfully, that was enough of an answer for a 4-year-old.
But I should have known that while she didn't ask any more questions, my introspective daughter had not forgotten about the...thing!
So a few days ago, Brad comes into the kitchen while I am fixing dinner and says, "So the girls and I just had an interesting conversation."
When Brad came home from work, he went to change out of his work clothes like always. And like always, Shadow 1 and Shadow 2 followed him. As he was changing Libby says, very serious like, "Daddy, you know that bumpy thing in your underwear? (except that I think she said panties) It makes it look like you pooped in your pants."
I, of course, burst out laughing. But Brad interrupts and says, "Oh no. That is not the best part."
Apparently, when Emma Jane heard that comment, she started dancing around the room, chanting "Daddy pooped his pa-ants. Daddy pooped his pa-ants!"
So is it just me, or is anyone else afraid that Emma Jane is going to grow up to be a school yard bully?


16 comments:

Kelli said...

That is too funny! Looks like now they'll be banned from the "after work changing time" too.

Kristen said...

We have the opposite going on here, while my 5 year old gets that his baby sister is a girl, my 3 year old is quite worried about where her penis is, he just doesn't accept that she doesn't have one.

Krystyn said...

I have a feeling wardrobe changes will also be unaccompanied now, too! Hilarious!

I don't think Izzy is aware of the difference, either.

Kmama said...

LOL That's hilarious. Why is it that dad's get privacy, while the mom's get none? I don't get it. I still can't go to the bathroom or shower without one of the boys busting in.

shortmama said...

LOL oh the innocence of children is divine!

Heather said...

So cute.
My two year old is currently interested in who does and who doesn't have a penis in our house.
He is also interested in my breasts and told me the other day he would, "like to touch them."
No thank you.

Tiffany said...

Found you from TST - that is hilarious. My girls have done the same things to my hubby - poor guys! Tell him he's not alone. Their current favorite taunt is "Daddy has hairy boobies!"

Beth said...

That was an absolute hoot! Loved it! Definitely going to follow as I expect more funny stories to emanate from your blog. :)

Angie S said...

Gosh...that story just made a mess of my keyboard and computer screen...I just spit my drink! GREATNESS!!!!

Cyndi said...

ok, seriously, my cheeks hurt!!

Cherry Family said...

LOL!!! I love it!

Christina@ingallslife said...

why is it that the dads get all the privacy? i hardly even get to shower alone. when i start the shower, it is like starting up the automatic kid wash. i wash all three while trying to spill some suds on myself too. i dream about long showers by myself.

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, that is to funny! I had to start booting my boys out the door when their stares became uncomfortable.

Emily said...

LOL...even though this is like the third time I'm hearing this, it's still totally hysterical!

Rachel said...

She.did.not.

Oh my gosh, that is just too funny! That first comment was hilarious, and I love the follow-up. Your girls could take their act on the road!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Too funny. It's only beginning, isn't it. Wait until you get a note home from school when they share their new knowledge. You'll have to blog about it :-)
For many years we had a house of only boys... I can't tell you how many dinner conversations have revolved around the novelty of saying a different body part.