Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Overheard in the Chick Fil A ladies room

Taking three children to the potty in public is always an experience.


If you have been reading my blog with any regularity, you are probably aware that we are big fans of Chick-fil-A. We often have lunch at the Chick with friends. Or by ourselves...we aren't picky.


On this particular occasion, we were alone. After eating lunch, my plan was to just hop in the car and go home. But both girls had to go potty and they assured me, while holding themselves and jumping up and down, that it could not wait the five minutes it would take us to get home to our clean, unpublic restroom.


We all crammed into the handicap stall. Since the stroller was in the trunk of my car, I had to hold John (who was dying to get down and play in the toilet) and help Emma Jane get on and off the potty without falling in.


While I am trying to juggle those two, Libby is distracted by something shiny starts playing with the door of the trash receptacle that is on the wall...yk, the one for sanitary products!


Me: "Libby, stop touching that!"

Libby: "Why?"

Me: "Because it is dirty!"

Libby: "Why is it dirty?"

Me: "It is a trash can! Yucky things go in there!"

Libby: "But it is empty."

Me: "That is not the point! Stop touching it!"

Libby: "Hey, Mommy, I can see somebody in there!"


That is when I realized that the there was one trash receptacle being shared between two stall and sure enough, when Libby pushed open the lid she could see straight into the other, occupied stall!


Me (whisper-shouting): "Libby! Stop it right now! That is so rude!"

Libby: "What? I can just see her feet."

Me: "Oh my goodness! Just.step.away.from.there!!"

Libby: "Okay Mommy. Mommy, why is it rude?"

Me (still trying to whisper): "Because people need privacy when they go potty. Would you like it if a stranger was watching you go potty?"

Libby: "No."

Libby: "Mommy, what's a stranger?"


Oh just shoot me now!


The best part...The woman being spied on burst out laughing. I imagine she had been doing that silent, shoulder-shaking laugh up to this point and could simply no longer hold it in. When we exited the stall she was waiting for us by the sink. She patted me on the back and said, with tears in her eyes, "Don't worry. I have kids too."


Yes, but are your children little peeping toms?





6 comments:

Summer said...

Oh. My. Gosh....In tears, Lauren...in tears...LOLOL!

Angie S said...

Wow...that is very funny! I never knew the trashcans were shared...I'd better watch it or my kids will be peeking in on people too.

imbeingheldhostage said...

EVERYBODY'S children are peeping Toms! :-)

heidi said...

Bahahahaha! CLASSIC!

Emmy said...

Lol! That is the best story ever! Too too funny.

Emily said...

Yesterday, Melody asked the lady in the stall next to her if she pooped too. Kids are too funny (and embarrassing!)