Monday, April 19, 2010

Beth Moore Conference 2010

I just had the BEST weekend!

Em came back to see me and we went to the Beth Moore Conference at my church and to see Bon Jovi in concert. But more about Bon Jovi later. This post is all about Beth Moore!

Beth (she and I are on a first name basis now) is amazing, amazing, a-MAZING!

The conference started Friday night and before she got into our bible study topic, she spent about twenty minutes just talking to us. Now, if you are anything like me and one of your primary goals is to have Beth get right in your face and say "can I get an amen, sister?" or sit on your lap or give you a hug and tell a room of 5000 women that you are the cutest thing she has ever seen, I have a few tips for you that will help you achieve your goal:

  1. Sit on the end seat of your pew and don't be afraid of the last row, as she does walk laps around the sanctuary.
  2. Avoid the balcony.
  3. WRITE HER A LETTER AND MENTION THE EVENT YOU ARE ATTENDING!! This one was so obvious, I can't believe I didn't do it. She called out several names of ladies that had written to her from our event.
  4. Write her a card, mentioning her keen fashion sense. (That girl got a hug.)
  5. Sit on the front row and be 9 months pregnant. (That cute girl also got a hug.)
  6. Have a Hungarian accent. (Or be the one that invited the girl with the accent. You will both get hugs.)
  7. Be sitting right in front of Beth when she says something so funny that she cracks herself up!

Unfortunately, I met none of the above criteria, but I will be prepared for next time!

Now on to the good stuff.

Our topic for the weekend was family. Specifically, our families of origin and what Christ's plan for the family looks like. I have over 4 pages of notes, but it is just way too much to share it all in a blog post so I am just going to give a general outline. My outline will in no way give justice to just how incredible her teaching on the subject was!

We started in 2 Timothy 3:1-5. She then pointed us to the phrase in v. 3 "without love." The Hebrew word translated to "without love" is "astorgos" which means: without natural affections, the lacking of familial attachment, a hard-heartedness towards family members.

This verse was the jumping off point for the rest of the bible study. She defined family as: a consistent group of multi-generational people from a common progenitor with whom we share life, heart, purpose and promise; an interactive group that exercises the many dimensions of (what we'll call) "family love."

She then gave us these 8 points. In the current society in which we live, the following is true:

1. We increasingly lack family.

2. We need family.

  • We can't fulfill our destiny without it.
  • We need familial conflict to mature.
  • We were created for depth, not breadth of relationships.

3. Family is meant to grow, not shrink. (Then she gave us a bunch of verses showing the metamorphosis of Jesus' own family. )

John 2:1, 12; Mark 3:20, 31; Mark 6:1-6; John 7:5; John 19:26-27; 1 Corinthians 15:4-8 (with emphasis on v.7); Acts 1:12-14

A. Christ came to birth a new family.

B. Christ can also resurrect an old family.

4. Any family can have calamity.

2 Samuel 13:20-22

5. Family calamity is most complicated when it comes as a consequence.

Hebrews 12:10

Psalm 103:10-13 (all discipline of God is to get us to healing)

6. Family calamity doesn't have to be irreparable.

7. Christ came to bring honor back to the family

Matthew 1

Hebrews 2:5-13

8. We ARE family!

Psalm 68:6

There it is in a nutshell.

8 comments:

Kmama said...

I'll be honest and say I have no idea who Beth Moore is...but she seems to have had a profound effect on you and that's wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed the conference.

Now, you ladies are all a bunch of hotties!

Emily said...

That conference was so fabulous! I am still thinking about it.
Also, I really need to be about 2 inches taller.
Get started now on your letter for when we see her in Dec! ;)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Sounds fantastic. I agree wholeheartedly with the 8 points, with number 1 & 2 getting a loud Amen! from me.

Kelli said...

I'm sure you ladies had a wonderful time. I {heart} Beth...thanks for sharing your notes.

Krystyn said...

Thanks for passing along your notes and sharing. I imagine the great time you had!

Angie S said...

Wow! I love her and will have to look up when she is near me! I'm reading her book and think it is great. It would be cool to meet her and see her speak in person.

Jen said...

I googled this event to see who all blogged about it. That's how I found your blog. I wrote a post about the event, too. It was a wonderful conference. I unfortunately sat in the balcony (my mother-in-law tripped and fell flat on her face at our hotel minutes before we were to leave, so after cleaning her up and making sure nothing was broken, we arrived with 2 minutes on the big screen!).

Laura@Cowboy Boots said...

oh what a wonderful conference to go to! i've only been able to do her bible studies on the internet!