Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Over the Rainbow

A while back I mentioned that school wasn't going so well for Libby but then I never really mentioned it again. For those of you that don't know, I did end up pulling her out. And Brad and I have officially made the decision to homeschool.
I am so so excited about this! I was a teacher before Libby was born and although I have never regretted my decision to stay home or even really missed the classroom at all, homeschooling has totally reminded me how much I love teaching!
I have only recently, like within the last two weeks, really started being intentional with schooling Libby. (Prior to that we were just playing and doing what we did before she went to Preschool High.) We just finished up a mini unit study on rainbows and I thought you might like to see some of her work.
Now let me just say that I am not that creative, but thankfully the Internet is full of people who are! The following idea I copied verbatim from Tater Tot School.
We made a Rainbow Lapbook.
(Emma Jane is participating as much as she wants to at this point. She is really interested in school, but I am not pushing her. In other words, I pretty much made her lapbook for her...but she did get some good glue training in during the process!)
For the cover they colored rainbows and I wrote out our corresponding bible verse, Genesis 9:13.
Inside, are two mini books, one entitled God Made Rainbows and the other Noah's Ark. We also talked about the Color Wheel and primary and secondary colors. The girls made a rainbow shape-book. We talked about the colors in a rainbow and I taught them a poem to help them remember ROY G BIV.
That poem, of course led to a discussion about indigo and violet and why there was no purple in the rainbow. This was confusing so we tried mixing colors to clarify the difference. It is still confusing, but the girls had fun with paint! And in case you are wondering, equal parts blue and red make purple, lots of blue mixed with a little red makes indigo and a little blue mixed with lots of red makes violet.
And I personally think the purple doesn't really look purple, but that may just be my camera.


We also finger painted with primary colors and made a rainbow in a jar (which I have no pictures of.)

But the most fun activity was definitely making (and eating) rainbow cupcakes! We used food coloring to dye the batter different colors and then layered the colored batter into the muffin pan.


Libby is going to be very disappointed when she wakes up tomorrow and realizes that her daddy ate the last one!

14 comments:

Emmy said...

Wow.. I don't think I could home school my kids, our Time for Tots day one day a week is often as much as I can do.

Good for you and it looks like a wonderful wonderful day.

DysFUNctional Mom said...

Good luck homeschooling, it sounds like it's just the right thing for your family!

Kelli said...

I love that laptop idea and all of the information it has inside. Roy G Biv makes me think of the show Hip Hop Harry and when they talked about rainbows. Mmmm, cupcakes...too bad Daddy ate the late one.

Kmama said...

Those of you who homeschool amaze me. Good luck!

Krystyn said...

What awesome lessons. I'm headed over now. I will need activities for this summer.

Cherry Family said...

Very Cute Lauren! We love doing Lap Books and it has been too long since we created one. You have inspired me to do another. : )

I can't wait to learn about all your ideas. Home Schooling is GREAT! And I think it is so funny that you are on the home schooling side now. ;)

shortmama said...

Looks like lots of fun! Homeschooling can be lots of fun...and make you a bit crazy too!

Alyssa said...

I am not thrilled with my daughter's school. I just don't know if I could homeschool her. She can be strong willed! LOVE your blog

blueviolet said...

The whole thing is actually a blessing in disguise then!!! :)

Yankee Girl said...

THat is so great that you are so happy with the change! And the kiddos look so happy as well!

And those cupcakes look so yummy.

Angie S said...

I loved learning about rainbows when I was little...Layla has just discovered them!

You go girl...I don't know if I could home school my kids.


I could really use a yummy cupcake right now...those look so good!

Emily said...

If you need any advice, you should definitely call my mom.

heidi said...

Looks like you guys are having fun!

建霖 said...

色情秀一夜聊天室女同聊天聊天室二愛聊天室色情網站論壇色情網戰色情說小色情影片片色情影片免會員色情影片亞洲色情影片站色情熟女貼圖片色情線上短片色情學文色情?漫艾莉絲無名相簿色情免費試看自拍色片下載區色片免費線上看色片直撥色片直播999色片情色卡通影片免費看色色論壇色免費論壇色言情小說色妹妹免費影片色妹妹脫光光視訊聊天室 免費視訊 bt成人777成人區