Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rude woman at Publix


Grocery shopping is one of my least favorite chores. The free cookie never lasts long enough and there is inevitably going to be a meltdown from Libby one of my children two-thirds of the way through the store. Then there is the at the register sorting of the items I actually want to buy and the "extras" Emma Jane another child has thrown in to the buggy.

Really, kid? Cat food??

Last week, on Monday, I had the pleasure of babysitting my friend Ashley's son. (Seriously, he is he sweetest kid!) And in a brief moment of insanity, I thought it would be a good idea to cart him along to the store with us.

But honestly, shopping with 4 wasn't much different than with 3. Normally I avoid the "car" shopping carts like the plague, but since I had two that needed to be contained, I had no choice. The boys did great together. Wesley didn't bother John and he didn't seem bothered by John, even though John kept trying to take his cookie! The girls just walked beside me as always.

Now the reason I hate the car buggies is that they are basically impossible to steer. And it gets worse as you put more stuff in the cart. Plus the carts are never big enough for all of my groceries!

All was going well. Well, as well as can be expected. Emma Jane kept trying to put batteries in the buggy, Libby was lamenting, hand to brow, that we were "never going to be done at the grocery store" and Wesley became fixated on an Elmo balloon and mentioned it a few dozen times.

But this is all par for the course and I was feeling pretty good about my ability to handle another kid my babysitting/shopping skills. Then the totally predictable unthinkable happened!

As I was maneuvering that giant shopping cart around a narrow corner, I grazed the side of someone else's buggy. And I immediately and profusely apologized! "Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Let me get out of your way" sort of apology.

And the woman I ran into was totally gracious and told me "it's fine. You certainly have your hands full!"

NOT!!

No actually, she glared me! One of those eyes rolling back into her skull, the mere sight of you makes me want to tie my tubes sort of glares. And it totally sort of upset me. I mean, I didn't mean to run into her. And I apologized. And hello, I had four freaking kids with me! Give me a break!

Thankfully, two aisles later when I almost did have a head on collision, that person was nice enough to smile at me and tell me my kids were cute!

That is really all I ask!

19 comments:

Kelli said...

I really do dislike rude people. I mean COME ON!!! So I'm not the only one who avoids the car carts at all costs!

Ashley said...

I'm still just impressed that you attempted the grocery store with four kids. You would think people would cut you some slack. I love that picture by the way!

Kmama said...

Me + 4 kids = NEVER IN A GROCERY STORE. LOL!!

I love, love, love that you southerners call grocery CARTS "buggies". That makes my day.

Sorry you had to "graze" the grinch.

blueviolet said...

I don't understand why someone would feel their space and person are so sacred as to have that kind of piss poor attitude about an accident! Sheesh!

Summer said...

You should have circled back around and "accidentally" rammed into her ankle....hehe...I'm a stinker, ain't I?

Emmy said...

Oh I have not even run into people like that in the store and have gotten glares and crusty's, what is the deal! Drives me crazy.. we are just doing the best we can.
And yes those things are a beast to steer.

Krystyn said...

I hate those carts, too. They are impossible.

Dear Lady at the Store-
It's not your store. She paid to be there, too. Get over yourself, or find another place to shop.
Signed,
Lauren's Friend.

Angie S said...

Cranky old hag...she'll get what's coming to her!

Leiah said...

Until Kmama mentioned it I never gave it a second thought about us calling them buggies. You know I'm only 15 months older than my twin brothers so I remember those grocery store trips. My dad tells a story about some snotty lady once looking at them like they were lower than low because they were so young and had 3 children, and saying in a real condescending voice, "OH, a toddler AND twins?" to which my sweet Daddy replied, "Nope they're triplets...we just can't carry them all at once so we leave one in the car and rotate 'em out so they don't get hot out there." Guess it's clear I come by it honestly.

Rudy Rukus said...

I hate those stupid carts. My kids scream every time I avoid them too. And seriously why do people have to be so rude. You CAN take kids in grocery stores it's not the ballet.....

Emily said...

I still think you should have hunted her down in the store and rammed her. But I'm vengeful like that...

Emily said...

Btw, Wesley is sooo cute and I love how John's totally plan his next cookie heist.

shortmama said...

I would have run into her again...this time with more force

Foursons said...

Oh you brave, brave woman! I have run people down in those carts. They are really hard to stop once you get started and if you're trying to turn a corner forget it. I apologize of course, but people aren't too forgiving.

Rachel said...

Oh girlie... I feel for ya! I CAN NOT for the life of me, muscle those car carts through the store. I'm 5'3" and a bit on the weenie side... and those things defeat me every.time.

Actually, I think you handled four kiddos quite well - apparently the rude chick couldn't handle the onslaught of cuteness.

Jen said...

I have to use those charts when I take all the kids with me and I ALWAYS get those looks from people.

Welcome to my world.

People suck!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Did you get home and think of all of the smart alec-y comments you could've said?

I'm proud of you for taking on shopping with four without having a nervous breakdown (or psychotic break on the not very nice lady). I usually end up in tears at the register and now the cashiers watch me warily to see whose line I'll go into.

Something just occurred to me that you might find amusing. My kids are up in the bath making a lot of un-bath noise while I'm reading your blog. :-)

DysFUNctional Mom said...

I think you should've bumped into her again.
Twice.

BabeeLove said...

I'm sorry but some people are soooo rude! You are sooo brave to take all of them to the grocery store. I go at night when they are in bed and take my mountain of coupons. Then I don't feel so bad holding up lines with all my coupons :)