Thursday, March 11, 2010

PSF and Played

So you all know what a pain in the...er, neck Emma Jane has been about learning to use the potty. Despite showing all of the signs for being ready to potty train (i.e. staying dry for several hours at a time and telling me she needed to go potty!), she continually peed on my carpet until I wanted to list her on Ebay pull my hair out.
On Monday, she turned 3 years old. Which, based on all of my previous experience with potty training one child, is about 6 months too old to still be wearing diapers! So I decided to give it one more last ditch effort before buying stock in Depends.
I went all out with this effort. Using all sort of tricks that were never necessary with Libby. I made a sticker chart, including an M&M bribe for getting 10 stickers. I made up a potty song (which I am not going to sing for you) and a potty cheer, complete with moves. I took her to Target and let her pick out her very own big girl panties in which ever print she wanted.
And I did one more thing that I swore I would never do! I bought a potty chair.
It looks like a frog.
Kinda creepy, no?
I loathe potty chairs. I think they are gross and unsanitary.
(And this is coming from a woman that washes diapers every other day!)
But I was desperate...
And our first day home with the potty chair and new panties, Emma Jane peed in the frog voluntarily and without prompting three times!
Where did that come from?!
So, show of hands...who thinks that she has actually been potty trained all along and was just holding out for the big payout?
Little stinker!

PhotoStory Friday Give me your best shot at Better in Bulk


Hosted by Cecily and Lolli



26 comments:

Cecily R said...

You don't want to know when my first two were finally potty trained...but let's just say that if Evie is anywhere close to ditching diapers by the time she turns three in May she'll be MONTHS ahead of them. Sigh.

I'm with you on potty chairs ickiness, but I also say whatever works. Potty training is too hard to quibble about being sanitary! :)

Life with Kaishon said...

She is so cute : ) I am glad it was nice and easy for you. That makes my day. That chair is sort of creepy! If it works for kids though, it has got my vote : )

Bren said...

It's all about the comfy seat! Glad it is kicking in! Oh and she definitely held out for the goods - she's no dummy!

Ellemes said...

That is a great potty! How cute.

And her grin makes me think she has been playing you to get a sweet potty like that. ;) Can you blame her?

Lolli said...

I am totally with you on being grossed out by potty seats. I had one for my first but never really used them again. But whatever works.... :)

Chris said...

Each of my kids achieved potty trainedness(?) at a different age, but they all did it the same way -- one day, they just got it.

Good luck.

shortmama said...

You know she owns you LOL!! Thats ok I finally got Rhiannon to be fully potty trained with stickers and m&ms...Im not sure either of those would work for my stubborn Layla

Leslie said...

ugh! I have an over 2 1/2 year old that desperately needs to be potty trained. I might need to go for the potty chair,too, because whenever we talk about using a "big potty" He says, "NO! I fall." I think he's scared. I hate potty training! congrats on your little girl going potty so many times, that's so awesome!!!

MomOf4 said...

Best of luck with the whole potty training thing. I honestly believe that it is up to THEM to make the decision that they want to do it. Be it for a reward or to catch up with an older kid. Good luck!!

Kmama said...

We have that potty chair, and my letter of intent includes a story about Buster and trying to potty train him. He KNOWS. He's just being a stink...so I totally sympathize. But I hope that's what EJ needed to get fully trained. Good luck!

Tyne said...

Ha Ha. That is too funny- I would be scared to sit on that frog!

Krystyn said...

She's got you all figured out, doesn't she?

Isn't it strange that they want to sit on a tiny, creepy potty in the middle of the room with no privacy?

JennyMac said...

HAHAHAHAHA....she is a stinker but an absolutely adorable one. MiniMac wouldnt use his potty chair one minute. We had to buy a mini seat to go on the regular seat. kiddos..always keeping us on our toes. LOL.

Emmy said...

Lol! Well whatever it takes I guess. But I agree I hate potty chairs! For my son I got the kind that attaches to the toilet, so he wouldn't fall in.. my daughter yeah she just had to sit on the big potty from the start.

kaye said...

sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girls gotta do--


Kaye-the road goes ever ever on

Emily said...

The potty chair always works...which means my mother was right yet again. I hate when that happens.
Will you sing the potty song for me when I come next month?

Mama Zen said...

I give all the credit to the potty song!

blueviolet said...

I find them to be pretty darn gross also!!!! I'd pee on a frog if given the chance though. Well, if there were rewards and songs attached.

John Deere Mom said...

It kind of cracks me up that the potty chair is in the kitchen! Glad it's working!

Rachel said...

I love this! Kids are smarter than we give them credit for (says the kid who had chocolate milk bottles for WAAAAAY too long :)

She is adorable!

Rachel said...

Sorry... still cracking up at your twitter about Libby's wedgies! :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

She may have been holding out for the rewards, but you have the last laugh-- print that picture for later ;-)

BabeeLove said...

My daughter was the exact same way! She held out for the rewards and we started 2months before her 3rd birthday. She was pro! I think kids are smarter than we think.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

She's no dummy!

Momisodes said...

Whatever works, right ;)

I hated potty seats as well. But the end payout from training is awesome!!!!

Sarah said...

ha ha! we are having potty issues too! Mom said Cate squatted and peed on her carpet this morning. She only acts like this when she is mad. But at least she will be ready for college! lmao Dr. Phil did a show on it and said you have to find the child's currency. Good job finding it! Hope it works for going number 2 =) thats our biggest obstacle!