Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sour cream is my butter...

I have a recipe to share with you.
But first, I have to share a story about my bff.
And her obsession with butter...
When Libby was a baby, I was a borderline paranoid schizophrenic a little cautious about introducing finger foods. My fear of choking was great. Emily suggested toast sticks as a good option, but since I was still breaking puffs in half before giving them to my baby, I was skeptical about giving Libby toast.
"What if it gets stuck on the roof of her mouth and she can't swallow it?" I asked.
Emily's response: "Just put a little butter on it."
When I was having trouble getting any of my children to eat vegetables, Emily's advice: "Just put a little butter on them."
And the kicker, (while visiting with our favorite friends one weekend) Emily made blueberry muffins for breakfast. She asked if my girls wanted butter on their muffins. I said "no, they prefer them plain." So Libby and Emma Jane each got a butter free muffin. Jack and Melody also got plain muffins...
but on their plates was a little spoonful of butter to dip their muffins in!
I looked at Emily and said, "Seriously, ya'll are the Buttertons!"
So I tell you all of this because the other day Emily called me to ask about this recipe I am going to share with you. (eventually.)
Emily: "Hey, what's in your chicken and rice dish?...I want to make that for dinner this week."
Me: "Oh it is super easy! It's just wild rice, chicken, mushrooms, Italian dressing and sour cream."
Emily: (small pause) "You know, a lot of your recipes have sour cream in them."
Me: "I know...sour cream is my butter!"
I mean, really, everything is better with a little sour cream!
So without further ado...
Chicken with Wild Rice
You will need:
one box of wild rice, cooked according to package directions
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
8 oz sliced mushrooms, sauteed until golden brown (note: I prefer cremini mushrooms but regular white button mushrooms work just as well.)
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing (I used Ken's Steakhouse Northern Italian)
1 cup sour cream
Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
(The refrigeration step is not crucial, so if it's 30 minutes until dinnertime you can still throw this together and it will be delicious! It will just be even better the next day when you have leftovers! Decrease cooking time by 5-10 minutes if not refrigerated.)
Enjoy!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Hey now! In my defense...well, um, ok, I don't really have a defense except that butter is just good!

Kelli said...

Emily, butter is good! Lauren, I think cream cheese is my butter because a lot of my recipes have cream cheese...yum!

Kmama said...

Ooh, yum!! Sour cream and butter are both great!! LOL

Jules said...

That sounds delicious. I'm with your friend, butter on everything. After all I live in Wisconsin, we have to support our local farmers. hehe

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I am going to make this tonight! I am going to use brown rice instead, since that is what I have on hand. I am sure this will be delightful!

Mrs. NB

Sierra said...

We should get Em into a butter of the month club!
I will def be making that recipe!!

Krystyn said...

That sounds yummy and easy. Usually, I just do italian chicken. It's just the dressing and the chicken with rice...yours sounds creamier.

And, seriously, I didn't even know they made butter containers that big until I was over at their house. I am the opposite of a Butterton.

Angie S said...

The recipe sounds so good!!

Too funny, Gary loves sour cream and I love butter! Butter is so stinkin' good.

I can't believe you don't put it on muffins.

All this food talk makes me hungry!!

Emmy said...

Oh that does sound good and so simple. Me, I like both.. not always together.. unless it is on a baked potato :) mmmmm

Cyndi said...

Butter is yummy, I love cream cheese on my blueberry muffins. :)

John Deere Mom said...

Butter is good...sour cream is good...I love you both! And I will be trying this recipe for sure!