Monday, January 11, 2010

Improvisation

I love cooking. I find it somewhat therapeutic. But ever since John was born, I have found it really hard to cook as much as I want to. I am usually exhausted by the end of the day and at least two of my children generally have a meltdown around 5:00. We call this the "witching hour."
So I have been trying to use my crock pot more often as a way to combat this dilemma. The other day I planned to make this really yummy and healthy creamy chicken dish in the crock pot. This recipe is super easy and I always have the ingredients on hand.
Usually...
The recipes calls for:
boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 packet of Lipton's dry french onion soup mix
1 cup of sour cream
When I went to the pantry to gather the ingredients I found the following:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
I probably should have double checked my inventory before making this particular dinner plan. Since I knew my family would be expecting dinner that evening and I had pulled the 'I'm too tired to cook, let's get take out" card the previous night. So I improvised.
I used 1 package of bone-in, skinless chicken thighs, 1 can of cream of mushroom and 1 can of cream of celery, 1 package dry brown gravy mix and 1 cup of plain yogurt.
This was either going to turn out really good or really disgusting. And since there was no back up plan, if it turn out to be really disgusting we were going to be SOL for the second night in a row!
Luckily it turned out pretty good. Not as good as the original, but I am the only one that noticed. Brad, the girls and even John ate it up!
So let this be a lesson to you: You can only "go to" your favorite recipes if you remember to restock the staples!

9 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm so glad it turned out. I hate when I don't have all of the ingredients.

Kmama said...

that is some serious improvisation!! I would never have thought to pull that together!

I hate cooking though, so any reason to skip cooking is a good one to me!

Emily said...

Cool...I needed a new crockpot recipe. But I'm going to use the original one though...do I need to add any spices?

Brandi said...

Why didn't my parents get me a crockpot for Christmas instead of fancy hand wash only pans? I seriously need a crockpot.

If I cook dinner, I have to cook it at 2 in the afternoon and warm it in the microwave later. We have those infamous 5pm meltdowns around here too... and there's NO way to cook dinner when that happens!

blueviolet said...

I hate when I'm missing something important. Some things I use so often and I always seem to have that I forget to keep stocking them.

Angie S said...

That sounds yummy...both do actually. I love cooking and really enjoy making up random stuff.

I can totally relate to the "witching hour" I hate that time of day...it is so stressfull. I use the crockpot for the same reason!

Megan R. said...

It sounds good! I am the queen of chucking random crap into the crock pot and calling it dinner.

How did it go with bone in chicken? My crock pot runs really hot, and pretty much all meat falls apart, so I would be afraid I'd be left with a bunch of bones in there!

cute said...

愛情是盲目的,但婚姻恢復了它的視力。.........................

shortmama said...

I do the same thing! I look and think I have everything I need and end up having to improvise! It also doesnt help that I NEVER follow a recipe the way it was meant to be!