Thursday, January 7, 2010

I hate mice and I don't share cookies

I love the end of the day.


When the children are bathed and everyone is winding down.


Every night after they have on their jammies, the girls and I curl up on Libby's bed to read stories. They each get to pick out one book for me to read.



While I cherish the time that I get to cuddle up with my babies and smell their sweet, freshly washed hair I have come to somewhat dread story time. Because I know inevitably Emma Jane will plop down in my lap and hand me...


THE COOKIE BOOK!


Or to those of you that don't live in my house: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.


I didn't use to hate this book. In fact, at one time, I thought it was a pretty cute little story. But after reading it over and over and over again, every.single.day, I find myself hoping that the boy will put out a mouse trap and just kill be done with that cookie scavenging little rodent.


I just want to know, didn't anyone ever teach that kid that you shouldn't feed unfamiliar animals? This is important information for a child! And where exactly is his mother while he allows a filthy little beast to contaminate the house? Never has a family needed a cat more!


Sometimes when I just can't take it anymore, I hide the book and get a few days or weeks of reprieve. But that tricky little minx Emma Jane always manages to find it eventually (probably because we have multiple copies floating around) and then we have to make up for lost time.


"Cookie book, cookie book, cookie book!"


Just kill me now.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



For more children's books from the edge, head over to MamaKat's for this week's Writer's Workshop.

13 comments:

Amanda said...

My mom is a teacher and that series of books is some of her favorites! There is also "If you give a moose a muffin" and "If you take a mouse to the movies" just to name a few!

Kmama said...

Ha ha ha. We have a few of those books too. I'm currently loathing the John Deere Johnny Tractor book that Buster asks me to read every single night. Not only is it a long book, but it's worded funny and I trip over the words. Now I've just started to make things up.

e said...

You know what I would give a mouse? Cheese. On a trap.

I eliminate any problematic books by censoring - i mean, reading them before they even make it ot the library!

Snarky Mom said...

We have that book too. It was a favorite for about a year. It currently resides in the back of the entertainment cabinet underneath a stack of magazines on the very top shelf. Never to be seen again.

Michelle said...

Over from Mama Kat's while I eat my cereal in peace...the kids are ALL upstairs. that is amazing.

anyway, I've never even read that book. LOL...Sorry!

Amethyst Moon said...

I might have to run out to Borders to read this book! sounds fabulously fun! Way better than "mom! read my essay!" give me back days of rhyming illustrated books, I hate essays!

Kelli said...

It would have to secretly disappear.

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Any book that I have had to read over a thousand times drives me crazy... except Goodnight Moon. I have it memorized, yet I still love it.

Mrs. NB

blueviolet said...

I always hated the Richard Scarry ones because my daughter who loves detail would make me talk about every single one of the 75 items on each of those 15"x15" pages.

shortmama said...

oh man I have been through that with several books...makes me insane!

imbeingheldhostage said...

Move into If You Give a Moose a Muffin for an exciting switch (yes, I have read these books waaaay too many times too).

Jules said...

We have that book too! It was always a favorite when the kids were little. We'll see if the grand kids think so too in a couple years.

Emily said...

We have that book too. I like it. But we don't read it every. single. night. Melody is onto the Scary Book (which is actually some Dr. Suess book that I can't remember the real name). Fortunately for me, Daddy usually reads to them! :)