Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater


It's hard not to label your kids. Especially when those children are of the same sex. I think it just helps to further differentiate them. John usually is just referred to as "the boy" and that pretty much covers it. But when it comes to Libby and Emma Jane, I am only slightly ashamed to admit that I am guilty of labeling them.

Some common Emma Jane labels include the scrappy one, the funny one, the spirited one, the fearless one, the drama queen, the athletic one, the bully, the loud one, the physical one, the independent one, the leader, the messy one and when I am annoyed, the one listed on Ebay.

Libby is our sweet one, the thoughtful one, the methodical one, the princess, the mother hen, the space invader, the touchy one, the verbal vomiter, the organizer, the sensitive one, the pretty one (what? I didn't say that!), the fashionista, the future litigator, etc. But recently I have discovered a new and rather unexpected label for Libby...

The CHEATER!
*gasp*

Yep, my sweet, smiley Libby cheats!

I guess I should have mentioned that Libby is also the competitive one. She likes, no has, to win. She does not handle losing well. And being the creative thinker that she is, she came up with a method to remedy that problem!

The other night, she and I were playing Candyland after EJ and John went to bed and that little stinker totally tried to pull the wool over my eyes! And when I called her out on it, she got all annoyed with me!

Let me set the scene:
Every time it was Libby's turn to draw a card, she would grab a card and barely look at it before throwing it down into a messy pile next to her. (Now if you refer to the earlier list of labels you will note that Libby is the methodical one. Normally her cards are placed in a neat, precise little pile set at a right angle with the edge of the board.)

So right away, I knew something was up, but I wasn't sure what. Being taller than Libby, I was able to see her cards even though she only allowed them to be visible for a split second before discarding.

We were both happily moving along the path towards Candy Castle, when Libby made her first dishonest move. I saw quite clearly that she had drawn a single red, but she moved her piece to the second red square. When I corrected her, she said (all annoyed like) "Mom, it was a double red!"

Wrong! So I asked to see her card. She gestured towards the messy pile and said, "I don't know which one was my card, but it was a double red. I am supposed to move two spaces!" And as she is saying this she is holding her hands out, palms up and looking at me as if I am the dumbest creature on earth! (When did she turn 14?)

A few moves later, she tried something similar. She drew a yellow, which would have landed her on a licorice spot and caused her to lose a turn so she moved one extra space. And then a few minutes later, I had to leave the room to check on Emma Jane and when I came back she was rearranging the cards!
Surprise, surprise...the next card she drew was Princess Frostine!!

I still managed to beat her (fair and square) and I have to say, for the first time, I enjoyed seeing one of my children lose.

Served her right, the tricky little minx.

Who would have guessed that sweet innocent face was just a front?!

For more stories that will leave you shaking your head in disbelief, head on over to Once Upon a Miracle for True Story Tuesday.

15 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

Ha Ha Ha : ) Way to go beating your kid and teaching her a lesson : ). She is adorable.

Sierra said...

I guess she gets points for fearlessly trying....what a riot!

Kmama said...

That is hilarious!

And I'm so glad you brought up the labeling thing. I'm really bad about it. LOL

Emmy said...

Lol! That is too funny. And you are right, as much as you try not to label your kids, it is so easy to do. My goal is just never to say those labels in front of my kids.

Angie S said...

LOL! Layla always cheats when we play games...drives me NUTS!

Pam said...

LOL, the desire to win makes monsters of them! To funny, my grandson does it too.

Emily said...

Hm, I wonder if Jack taught her that during their last sleep over...that's totally one of his moves!

Queen of Quite A Lot said...

I'm totally cracking up over here...that is hilarious! Even though she was technically cheating (ok she totally was) and would lose points for sportsmanship, I say she gets major points for ingenuity. bahahahahaha!

shortmama said...

Layla and EJ have exactly the same labels...as do Rhiannon and Libby!

angie said...

Ha ha ha. I love a good story where mom beats the kids at their own tricks. :)

I've told you before that I have an Emma Jane, too, right? LOVE that name. :)

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, I think I just fell in love with Libby. I know cheating is wrong, and I love that you beat her at her own game but how can you NOT love that girl?!

Cyndi said...

HA! Nicholas and her playing Candy Land would be interesting!

Rachel said...

Whoa - how on earth did that happen so young? You got it right - she's your future litigator! That is scary smart, LOL!

And I am still snorting over your "the one listed on eBay" label! :)

Kelli said...

That is so funny! Jamison is the same way.

Mr. Daddy said...

now that is my kinda girl...LOL

I have a terrible compulsion to cheat at UNO. and no I will not give up my secrets in how.