Wednesday, September 30, 2009
I am jumping on the Body After Baby bandwagon! Samantha from Mama Notes created this blog carnival as a way for those of us that are struggling to reclaim our postpartum bodies to encourage and support each other. At this point in my weight loss, I really need the accountability. I am at that crucial last 10 lbs. It is so easy at this point to throw in the towel and say, "it's just 10 lbs." Most people, my husband included, don't even really remember what I looked like without this extra weight and so it is easy to believe when someone tells me how good I look for having a 5 month old baby!
But then I stand in front of my closet and the reality is that 95% of my clothes just don't fit. And the ones that do fit, aren't comfortable. And I remember my old body and I want it back! And I know I can do it, because I have done it before!
After Libby was born, I will be honest and say that I didn't even try to lose the weight. It just came off. (Don't hate me, just keeping reading. I get my comeuppance later.) I thought that breastfeeding was the key to post baby weight loss and that if everyone just breastfed their babies then we would all be hot, skinny mamas. Seriously. I thought that! But you know what they say about pride coming before the fall? Let me introduce you to the fall...her name is Emma Jane and she arrived 20 months later!
My weight loss with EJ plateaued at 3 weeks. No lie! Six months later I was still almost 30 lbs overweight, so I joined Weight Watchers. I cannot say enough good things about this program!! I lost all of the weight and between diet and exercise, by the time EJ was 18 months old, I was in the best shape of my life! And then almost immediately, I got preggo again and there went my fabulous body. Go figure!
So here I am a year later in the same boat. I don't have as much weight to lose, but it is stubborn weight. I don't feel comfortable going back to Weight Watchers over such a measly number of pounds (my own personal hangup) so I am thrilled that Samantha started this. You, dear blogiverse, will be my Weight Watchers! I am putting my goals out there for everyone to see and each week I will be updating you on my successes and failures and hopefully at the end of the 8 week challenge, I will have accomplished my goals and see some real results! So here are my goals for the next 8 weeks:
1. I want to lose 6 lbs. (My ultimate goal is 10 lbs, but that seemed unrealistic for just 8 weeks.)
2. I want to drink 8 glasses a day.
3. I want to exercise at least 5 times a week.
4. I want to eat at least 5 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables a day.
5. For the month of October, I am giving up sweets! Sugar is my downfall and a huge hindrance to my weight loss, so no more peanut butter m&ms for me! (Is there rehab available for chocoholics, because peanut butter m&ms are my crack!)
Every week, Samantha is issuing a mini-challenge that will earn points towards the Ultimate Body After Baby challenge. This week's challenge is to drink more water. Each glass of water is worth 1 point, so hopefully by this time next week I will have earned 56 points! (Drinking that much water is not easy for me, but I know from experience that it is a crucial element in weight loss!)
Thanks in advance for the support, encouragement and accountability! I would love to encourage you too! If you have unwanted baby weight hanging on, head over to Mama Notes to join the Body After Baby Challenge! There is nothing to lose but the pounds!
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
So, last week, Brad and I went to the FCA banquet. This is the first fancy event I had been to in over a year, so I bought a new dress and shoes. The next day Emily calls me to ask how it went. Conversation as follows:
Thursday, September 24, 2009
What kind of a sicko steals toilet paper??
Wait...what's that you say? It hasn't been stolen after all?
Well what do you know, it was right there on the floor this whole time! Whew! That is a relief!
But I have to wonder...
If a certain unnamed member of my household is capable of removing the empty roll and throwing it into the trashcan,
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
1. Where were you three hours ago? at home
2. Who are you in love with? Brad
3. Have you ever eaten a crayon? Not that I can recall, but I can’t be certain.<---Kelli's answer, but I think it applies
4. Is there anything pink within 10 feet of you? I have two little girls. That is sort of a stupid question.
5. When was the last time you went to the mall? Sunday afternoon. I bought a bracelet to wear with my new black dress and a sweater. (I will need that sweater in January and by then they will all be gone so it was not an impulse buy. It is a necessity!)
6. Are you wearing socks right now? No
7. Do you have a car worth over $2000? Yes
8. When was the last time you drove out of town? I went to stay with my mom in Alabama at the beginning of August. Brad was out of town so I drove myself and 3 kids through 3 states. Good times.
9. Have you been to the movies in the last 5 days? Nope
10. Are you hot? um, yeah I'm hot! Wait, did you mean temperature wise? Then no, it is pretty cool in my house
11. What was the last thing you had to drink? water
12. What are you wearing right now? My pre-pregnancy jeans (for the first time, woohoo!) and a shirt that Emily gave me. It was really cute back before I got pregnant but now I am afraid it looks like a maternity shirt because it ties in the back.
13. Do you wash your car or let the car wash do it? I let Brad wash it...
14. Last food you ate? peanut butter m&ms (does that count as food?)
15. Where were you last week at this time? Right here. My days don't have too much variety in them
16. Have you bought any clothing items in the last week? Yes. I bought a new black dress and the crucial sweater from #5.
17. When was the last time you ran? When I wasn't being chased? My personal
18. What was the last sporting event you watched? Alabama v North Texas! Roll Tide!
19. Your favorite animal? I am not really an animal person but from a distance I like tigers
20. Your dream vacation? Anywhere with my husband and no children!!
21. Last person’s house you were in? Melanie's
22. Worst injury you ever had? Other than the post-childbirth damage that Libby's arrival into the world caused, I can't really think of one.
23. Have you been in love? Um, hello question #2, are you paying attention?
24. Do you miss anyone right now? My dad
25. Last play you saw? RENT!!!
26. What is your secret weapon to lure the opposite sex? I usually say, "Brad, all the kids are asleep. Do you wa..." and that's as far as I get.
27. What are your plans for tonight? church. Libby has choir practice. So cute!
28. Who is the last person to send you a Facebook message or comment? Probably Emily
29. Next trip you are going to take? I am going to Alabama in a few weeks for my mom's wedding
30. Ever go camping? I am not what you might call an "outdoorsy" sort of gal. I prefer hotels.
31. Were you an honor student in school? hahahaha...
32. What do you want to know about the future? I don't want to know the future. I have enough to deal with today!
33. Are you wearing perfume or cologne? I'm wearing deodorant...
34. Are you due sometime this year for a doctor’s visit? I will be seeing Dr. G next Friday. And I will be performing a no-baby rain dance prior to entering his office. My track record with him is not good.
35. Where is your best friend? In Atlanta, cursing Cobb County School System
36. How is your best friend? She is like my mini-me...only we are the same size.
37. Do you have a tan? vampires don't have tans
38. What are you listening to right now? Libby singing
39. Do you collect anything? cute shoes
40. Who is the biggest gossiper you know? Gossip Girl. Oh, you mean in real life? I don't know...I hope it isn't me!
41. Last time you got stopped by a cop or pulled over? About 5 years ago on Interstate 75. The jerk gave me three tickets.
42. Have you ever drank your soda from a straw? I drink Coke from a straw.
43. What does your last text message say? "Whoa! What happened at Kroger?" to Emily in response to her tweet.
44. Do you like hot sauce? Duh, I am from the South.
45. Last time you took a shower? This morning.
46. Do you need to do laundry? Always.
47. What is your heritage? I am a WASP.
48. Are you someone’s best friend? Yes
49. Are you rich? Depends on who you ask.
50. What were you doing at 12 AM last night? Nursing a baby
Now it is your turn to play!
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Plus, it is super easy! You have got to give this one a try!
2 tablespoons olive oil (1 tablespoon is actually enough!)
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 yellow squashes (8 ounces each), thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low. Add onion, squashes, and 2 tablespoons water. Season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 30 to 35 minutes. If the vegetables start to brown during cooking, just lower the heat and add a splash of water.
Recipe From Everyday Food, September 2007
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Monday, September 14, 2009
- sit down (except while driving or nursing)
- eat a real meal
- make any phone calls
- check or respond to any emails
- READ ANY BLOGS!!!
I am going to be spending this week trying to revamp my schedule to include some quality computer time! And TV time...Smallville is starting soon and Metropolis will require an hour of undivided attention every week. If you are missing a few comments from me in the mean time, I apologize. I'll be back soon!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Please take a moment and remember those that gave their lives on September 11, 2001 and in the 8 years since trying to protect our great nation!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Last weekend, my family spent a few days enjoying the cooler New England weather while visiting my sister and her family. While we were there we visited Beech Hill Farm in Hopkinton, NH. The farm is great. There are animals for the kids to look at and pet. There is a h.u.g.e. dirt pile with buckets, shovels and tonka trucks for the kids to play in. There is a little country store with ice cream!
And there are cornmazes!
If you have never been in a cornmaze, well honestly, you aren't missing much. But to my two year old nephew, Ryan, there is nothing better! This maze was pretty easy to get through. It was designed for little kids and along the paths there were pictures of animals hidden in the corn for the children to find.
When I look at this picture:
I think about Ryan's excitement as he led the way through the maze.
- I think about the innocence of a child and how fleeting is this season of life.
- I think about how someday he is going to be as big as (or bigger than) those cornstalks.
- I think about how much I love my sister's kids and how I wish we lived closer to each other.
- I think about how much fun the cousins have together and how I hope they are always friends!
- I think about how sweet his little voice is when he said, "dis way out" or "I foun da ottah."
- I think about how fall is my favorite season!
- And I think that a three and half hour flight with 3 small children is totally worth it when I get to hang out in a cornmaze with this little guy!
t's like I am hardly lying...but I digress.
So by the end of this free health assessment I have purchased 12 sessions with him!
I mean, really, he had me at 26!
So yesterday was my first personal training session. Apparently during our previous meeting, I had given Anthony (the trainer) the impression that I enjoy various forms of torture cleverly disguised with cute names such as the Centipede and the Ice Skater. Trust me, there is nothing cute or fun about these exercises! I don't think I have every worked so hard! And I have workout a lot!
I could hardly walk out to my car because my entire lower body had been magically turned into jello. I was really just thankful
On the bright side, I survived the workout without falling down or throwing up! And I have 48 hrs until my next
And hopefully six weeks from now, I will look like her:
I'll be holding my breath.
This post was inspired by prompt #4 from MamaKat's Writer's Workshop.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Here she is on the first day of school last year:
And this year...
I love her facial expression! It sort of says "I am not sure how I feel about this but I will pretend to smile to make mom happy!"
Her teacher this year is Mrs. Neeley and I can tell that she is going to love my baby!
When I picked Libby up this afternoon, Mrs. Neeley said she had a great day. When I asked Libby how her day was she said, "I just can't tell you."
So I asked who she played with.
She said, "I played with nobody."
I asked what she did at school and she responded with "I don't remember what I did."
She is now taking a nap so I guess whatever she did was exhausting!
Saturday, September 5, 2009
And the winner is...
Here are your random numbers:
Timestamp: 2009-09-05 20:38:49 UTC
Friday, September 4, 2009
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
We had a few friends over on Saturday and the kids decided to throw a little dance party. Check out little Wesley gettin' down with his bad self!