Tuesday, December 15, 2009

IckDonald's and Trash TV

I think sleep deprivation is causing me to hallucinate.
This last week has been brutal, taking care of one sick kid after the other. Emma Jane turned out to have a bronchial infection as well as an ear infection. Then just as her medicine starts to kick in, Libby spikes a fever.
Brad and I left these two pitiful children with my mother and Dan while Brad and I traveled to Kentucky for his brother's graduation from seminary. I thought this would be a break from night time interruptions...I was wrong. John decided to have growth spurt while we were away and instead of waking up his usual one time a night, he woke up four times.
We came home, just as tired as when we left, but to a much happier Emma Jane! My mother filled me in on the weekend, which included making cookies (and eating them all), a trip to the park and a special trip to McDonald's. Or as Libby calls it: IckDonald's. (Libby doesn't understand why Mommy laughs every time she says that!)
The best part of a trip to McDonald's is always the toy. Usually the toys are not terrible. Recent happy meal treasures have included miniature My Little Ponies and Strawberry Shortcake notepads. So I was a little surprised when Libby showed me this thing:
What the heck is this?
At first glance, it appears to be a horse albeit a thestral-ish looking one. What really threw me off was the legs. I'm not the only one that sees six, am I? Is this creature the star of some really cool new cartoon that I don't know about and that my kids wouldn't be allowed to watch even if I did?
Speaking of cartoons my kids aren't allowed to watch, my mom admitted that Libby convinced her to let them watch Sponge Bob Squarepants while we were gone. It took less than three minutes for mom to realize that was a mistake and turn it off. But later, she overheard Libby telling Emma Jane she was going to "kick her butt." Mom jumped all over Libby for that one, so hopefully we won't hear that again.
Thank you Sponge Bob and Nickelodeon, for making my child ruder and more violent in less than three minutes. That is some quality TV you are producing there!

13 comments:

Kelli said...

What kind of creature is that? I've never seen anything like that come from McDonald's. Interesting.

Kim said...

Perhaps you should stick with Chick-fil-a. :) At least you won't get 6 legged animals.

Kmama said...

We also received that horse thingy yesterday. I immediately tossed it in the garbage. I mean, COME ON!

Emily said...

omg, that horse is so freaky looking! Just another reason for me to keeping driving right past IckDonalds.
Jack once told another kid's mom that we don't watch Dora because we don't like Spanish!

Krystyn said...

That looks like a piece of imaginary junk! Can you believe Izzy has never been to get a happy meal?

And, yeah sponge bob isn't very nice. Why don't they have good kid shows on after school?

Kelli @ RTSM said...

My boys' favorite part about fast food is the toy too! And we DO NOT watch Sponge Bob in our house...though my kiddos have talked my mom and grandmother into letting them watch it before!

Morgan said...

The toy is based off the movie Avatar that's coming out soon. It's definitely not a kid movie so I don't know why IckDonald's would choose such a character. It's definitely freaky looking!

Vanessa said...

We have one of those "horses" too. Creepy with the anteater nose and the lights...I don't like it one bit and as soon as Landon turns around that thing is going to the trash! Yuck.

Megan R. said...

That horse is creeee-pppy! What a bizarre thing to put in a kids meal!

blueviolet said...

That is the weirdest mutant horse I've ever seen!

Angie S said...

My parents let Layla watch Spongebob and I was livid. That show is horrible!!!

I'm pretty sure that 6 legged creature will scare many children...what are they thinking?

heidi said...

Blech! My McDonalds has Nerf toys for boys right now and I have no idea what they have for girls. Corbs is ALL about the nerf toys, man. He got this canon gun thingy that he can shoot at these targets?? Oh that boy is in heaven.

Oh, sure, back to you.

Sorry you've been sleepless. :-( I'm hopeful that everyone is feeling MUCH better now and that growing has ceased for another few weeks. Momma needs her rest, yo.

momma23 said...

We received 2 of those ugly things last week, one for each boy, and I let them play with the 'horse' for a while, but when they went to bed, the 'horse' went in the trash. Ick!