Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Grinch

Christmas is easily my favorite holiday! Some of my favorite Christmas memories were spent with my extended family. My mother is one of six so I have lots of aunts, uncles and cousins! We have so much fun together and I really just think that my family "does" Christmas right.


One of my favorite family traditions is The Grinch. The Grinch doesn't show up every year, but when he does it is always fun! Basically one person in the family designates themselves as the Grinch and provides gag gifts for everyone else in the family. These gifts are usually things that are found around the house like old tennis shoes or used charcoal briquettes. The year I started teaching kindergarten, I received from the Grinch a truly heinous pair of Christmas tree light earrings that I am pretty sure my Aunt Martha actually wore when she was teaching kindergarten circa the mid-eighties. The year I was the Grinch, I wrapped my brother's gift so completely with tape that no paper was exposed and he had to cut into it with a knife. I think there were rocks inside the box.


But possibly the most memorable Grinching is the year my brother was The Grinch...and I was the only one he Grinched! (Enough time has passed that I am able to look back and laugh. At the time, I think I cried.)


This particular Christmas morning, my brother, sister and I were at my parent's house and it was just the 5 of us. We were sitting around the tree in our jammies, opening gifts and drinking coffee. My dad handed me a gift from my brother and opened it to find a box full of torn up tissue paper. I laughed. Everyone else laughed. My bro picking on me is sort of a family tradition in itself, so no biggie!


We all open a few more gifts and I get another package from Philip. I opened this one to find another Grinch gift...I think it was pebbles. The laughter this time was a little more stiff but I am a good sport so I shrugged it off.


The third box from my brother came around and I was sure that this was a real gift. Because surely he wouldn't Grinch me three times in a row! I opened it up to find some twigs from the back yard. And crawling on one of those twigs was a big old spider. I freaked out and threw the box, spider and all, at my brother and then spent the next several minutes twitching and feeling spiders crawling on me. (I really don't like spiders.)


The spider was unintentional. Philip just didn't notice it when he grabbed the twigs. Even he realized at this point that the joke had gone too far and he retrieved my real gift from its hiding place behind the couch. It was a really cute sweater, so I forgave him for his trickery. Sort of. It was all in good fun.


(Okay, so I realize that my bro comes off sounding a bit like a jerk in this story, but he really isn't. We have spent our entire lives picking on each other like this and it is never with harmful intentions. I actually find my brother very funny. Except when spiders are involved.)

12 comments:

Kmama said...

How cool that you grinch each other! That's awesome.

And yeah, no spiders!! Eew!

Kelli said...

No, your brother sounds fun. Eeek! I would have freaked out about the spider too. I'm glad you can look back and laugh.

shortmama said...

That is such a cute tradition! Even if that sneaky spider was on the twigs

Emily said...

haha...I would have needed TWO sweaters if one of my brothers had scared me for life!

Nocona said...

That is funny. I love the idea of being the Grinch with gifts. My kids would get a kick out of that because it is our favorite Christmas movie.

Angie S said...

FUN...that you do the Grinch...great tradition!!

Bahhh on nasty spiders...

imbeingheldhostage said...

we have matching brothers so he didn't come off sounding like a jerk to me at all. I love this story and what a fun tradition. The spider gift...I'm shivering and shaking off imagined spiders now! eww.

In case I don't get back, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jackie at 3littleones said...

I love the Grinch idea - that sounds like so much fun! Your story about your brother is hysterical - he reminds me a lot of my brother :)

Mostlygrocery said...

Original idea, Grinch.. awesome.

-Paul

http://www.mostlygrocery.com

Jen said...

I agree with you, its just not Christmas until there is a viewing of the Grinch.

Krystyn said...

Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun at Christmas. I love it.

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

What fun! Sounds like a great family tradition. Hope you don't get grinched too bad this year. Merry Christmas!