Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Great Christmas Tree Debate


Brad and came into our marriage with very different ideas about how Christmas was to be celebrated. We came from very different families with very different traditions. One of our biggest debates over the years has been about the tree. I grew up with a fake tree. Brad considered that to be outright blasphemy.


So like a good, submissive wife, I gave in and we got a real tree for our second Christmas together. (The first Christmas is a whole other story for another time.) And I complained about pine needles and sap so much that I managed to convince Brad that real trees were the root of all evil (good and submissive, like I said) and we bought a prelit fake tree on sale that same year. Since he was giving up the pine fresh scent I compromised on another area of disagreement and let him buy a tree with colored lights. I prefer a white Christmas, but it was a small price to pay to not have to vacuum everyday!


So the fake tree worked out well for all of one year. The second year with our fake tree was a bust. We put it together and plugged in the lights and only half of the tree lit up. We never could find the burned out bulb that was the culprit. In a fit of disgust, we tossed it out with everyone else's real tree after Christmas that year.


So last night Brad and I are having a discussion about decorating for Christmas and I said, "Well I guess this year we should buy an un-lit fake tree."

Brad replied, "Why? We had a real tree last year. I thought we were done with fake."

Me: "No. The fake one was thrown away last year."

Brad: " I am pretty sure I remember you complaining about pine needles last year."

Me: "You are wrong! We only had that fake tree TWO years and we have been in this house TWO years!"

Brad: "Okay, crazy lady. I'm wrong."


So later I was on my computer working on a blog post about Christmas traditions and I came across this photo from my Christmas 2008 folder:

Interesting.

I'd say it is pretty clear which of us was wrong.

But I don't see any reason to tell my husband that...

17 comments:

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Don't you hate when you are so sure you are right...and then he ends up being right! I hate it! We always have a real tree...I think they just make it more like Christmas. But I do HATE the pine needles and sap!

JennyMac said...

HAHAHA...I have learned to quickly admit defeat in these situations bc it always surfaces later. LOL.

Emily said...

Never admit defeat!

Kelli said...

I don't like real trees either and since I'm allergic I win each time! Good luck!

Morgan said...

LOL! I was getting so confused around the middle of your post. I kept thinking "wait...I thought they had a realy tree...hmmm, it looked real...maybe my memory is just bad." But no, I did remember correctly! Though I'm sorry that Brad got to be right. So, what's the final verdict, real or fake?

Angie S said...

Thank the Lord Gary is allergic to real trees. I couldn't do it. They are nasty...and what a sappy mess that would be when Hayden pulled it over on his head. Arghhh!

I'm a clear/white light girl too.

Thank goodness Gary aggrees with me on that too.

So fake and clear are we :)

Kim said...

Hope he doesn't read your blog!

I am allergic to real trees. Very nice for me. :) Never any arguments.

Anyway, we have been through many fake trees- the GE pre-lits are the best. 100 lights per foot and they guarantee that it won't blow the whole string if one bulb blows. We have had the same one for 3 years now and it is more beautiful each year. Home Depot has them on sale right now, I believe.

Foursons said...

After reading the other comments I'm guessing that's a real tree. I wouldn't know- we've had a fake one all my life because I'm allergic to real ones. Anyhow...hahaha- Get rid of all proof that the picture exists! You don't want to admit defeat!

Krystyn said...

Secret's safe here!

Sierra said...

lol!! I have to admitI am a real tree person, but boy that is a funny story. Um... does he know you have a blog?

shortmama said...

I dont do real trees either...I love them but not in my house!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I love you more with every revealing post...
I won't tell (but you make sure you've got my back for the future things I will argue wrongly about). :-)

Rachel said...

Oh girlie, I could never get away with posting damning evidence on my blog... my husband is sneaky and would totally run with it!

That is just too funny!

And what was totally cracking me up is that our (real) tree sat there unlit for two days because I pitched a fit about wanting white lights. So I guess we're alternating years, ha ha.

Thanks for the laughs and for linking up!

Megan R. said...

Sooo..... is it going to be real, or fake this year???

lifebythecreek said...

Yikes.. I'm thinking you might want to bring up that JPEG and hit "delete". And I am so glad that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that! At least you got your white lights! TOO funny... (and over here, hubby likes white but I insist on colors because of the memories I have as a child of the pretty colored lights. I want my boy to have those same memories...).

heidi said...

Yep, that evidence right there is fairly damning. LOL

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色