Tuesday, October 6, 2009

She'll Never be Abducted...by humans anyway.


My sweet Emma Jane is full of life and personality. From the time she learned to wave she has been charming strangers and making "friends" in any and all public venues. But recently, she has decided that she no longer likes strangers. She doesn't wave and say "hi" anymore. When she is told how cute she is or asked her name, she crosses her arm, sticks out her bottom lip and looks at her feet. And if a stranger happens to be in or near our home, she has an all out meltdown and demands to be held.


This has been a major pain (for me) lately. We are currently having some work done on our house (another post, another day) so there are a lot of strangers at our house these days. Every time we leave the house, Emma Jane demands, through tears and hanging on my legs, that I carry her past the offending strangers out to the car. She doesn't seem to notice or care that I might have my hands full of her very heavy baby brother in his infant carrier. So I have been making at least two trips to the car to load up kids every time I leave the house.


One of the strangers in particular, is a very nice man named Nick. Nick has been at our house everyday for at least the last three weeks. He is no longer a stranger. But Emma Jane still won't have anything to do with him. And Nick, a father of six, is actually starting to take it to heart that Emma Jane still cowers and shrieks at the very sight of him.


The other day, I managed to convince Emma Jane that Nick was not going to "get" her and that she could walk to the car by herself. Unfortunately, I didn't warn Nick. And unfortunately, as soon as my daughter stepped outside Nick turned on some very loud power tool. Emma Jane screamed like that tool was being used on her and was still crying hysterically even after she was loaded up and we were on our way.


Poor Nick felt so bad! He said as we were leaving, "Well, at least you don't ever have to worry about her walking off with a stranger."


That's true...my baby will never "go quietly."

15 comments:

JennyMac said...

hahaha...this reminds me of a story my mom tells about me. I would never go quietly either. LOL.

Kelli said...

That is a funny story. Poor Emma Jane, poor Nick.

Kmama said...

I can only imagine how frustrating that is for you. Thankfully, my boys have never really gone through the stranger anxiety phase.

I hope it ends quickly!

Emily said...

haha! I'm still laughing even though this is the second time I've heard it!

Jackie at 3littleones said...

too funny!!!! That stinks you are having to take 2 trips to the car (what a pain), but Nick does have a good point :) That always worried me when my oldest would talk to anyone and everyone (now I love that he is more stubborn and doesn't like to talk to stangers anymore)

blueviolet said...

I'm trying to look at the blessing side of it for you. It's probably a good thing she's so wary.

shortmama said...

I know how frustrating that is. My oldest went through that phase, one days she was super friendly and then she was terrified by everyone. She still acts reserved around people, very quiet acts shy. But if she does feel comfortable than watch out, she will talk your ear off!

Summer said...

You've got a prize on my blog!!!

Lisa said...

Okay, first of all, LOVE the opening sentence. And how true, she will be a kicker and screamer naturally, so no need to teach her to drop and scream! LOL So sorry for Nick. Hope your little Emma does better soon, because the world is full of strangers. You don't want them walking off with them, but shrieking in terror isn't great either.

Still had to giggle, though!

Rachel said...

Aww, poor Nick! Though I'm glad she has that "Stranger Danger" thing down pat!

And ouch... I'm just imagining Kindergarten... I feel for ya.

Thanks for joining in!

Tanielle said...

Poor girl! That's how my little one is with the Halloween decorations in the house.:-)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Oh dear. I guess the bright side is that you are building some impressive biceps, right?

Foursons said...

Oh no! hahahahahaha! Poor little thing and poor Nick! Hopefully your house renovations get done quickly!

heidi said...

I hate when they inexplicably turn on you like that! You totally think your kid is one way and then they do a 180!

momma23 said...

My 2 year old is going through the exact same thing, every single day, and I have to say...it's getting old, fast. Every time he sees anyone that's not me, he starts saying I want my mommy, even if I'm holding him. What happened to my outgoing, friendly, happy little guy?