Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Snellings by any other name...

We are a nickname family. Everyone has at least two or three permanent nicknames and several other evolving nicknames. We even like to make up songs to go with our nicknames.
The evolving nicknames are what my husband likes to call Indian Names and they tend to provide a current description of the person being named.
For example: Libby's permanent nicknames, i.e. the ones that will humiliate her as a teenager, are Libby Lou (or if I am feeling fancy, Libby Lou La), Libby Skibby and Liblet. Her current Indian name is Talks with her Hands. Past Indian names include Wilts like a Flower and U No Poo. (Okay maybe that's the one that will humiliate her as a teenager.)
Emma Jane's (and here is where the nickname's start to get weird) permanent nickname is Emma Jana-rain or (again if I am feeling fancy) Emma Jana-raina-tain. Sometimes we just call her Raina-tain. Luckily for her she is blessed with a much more normal nickname as well; we very often call her EJ. Her current Indian name is Screams at Strangers.
And then there is my precious baby boy, who had the misfortune to be nicknamed by his 2 year old sister. When he was a newborn, I started calling him bugaboo. Emma Jane, as with so many other words, completely butchered this and ended up dubbing him Wah-da-boo. And unfortunately for John, it has stuck. Emma Jane has never once called him John and so we are fairly certain that she doesn't realize that Wah-da-boo is actually NOT is name. I am sure the fact that Brad and I have also been calling him Wah-da-boo (because it is just so cute when she does it) has not helped the with the confusion. I am sure he will bless us for that someday!
And as if my poor son was not being abused enough in the nickname department, his intense oral fixation has led to the disposal of his first Indian name:
Always Needs A Boob.
Doesn't he look like he just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

16 comments:

blueviolet said...

That is just hilarious!

Kelli said...

Emma Jana-raina-tain is my favorite, how fun. I love the Indian names and I'm happy that my boy is not the only Always Needs a Boob around. Whew!

Emily said...

LOL...love it! We have our version of that over here. Indian names are just the best!

SupahMommy said...

I LAUGHED OUT LOUD at your indian names! AND THE PIC just MADE IT.

Our kiddos look that same ages!

And twilight. YUM.

I SHALL deem you my BFF now because you is funny, you have kids my kids age and edward is on your page..

om nom nom

xoxo supah

Cherry Family said...

LOL! We use the nickname bugaboo too! Too cute Lauren. I love John's Indian name. So fitting.

Summer said...

LOVE those nicknames!!! Too adorable!

And, that picture is HILARIOUS!!!

Jen said...

Oh that is just too cute. My kids go after my boobs too but I never understood why. They never had them.

Momisodes said...

ROFL! You are a riot. And that photo is so classic.

Angie S said...

So stinkin'funny!!!!!

shortmama said...

We are a nickname family too. My oldest daughter Rhiannon is Poot-a-ninner or most often just Poot. Yeah she is called this more often than her actual name. And Layla is Bug, bugaboo (laughed when I saw that in yours!), buggie, or potato bug

Krystyn said...

He totally got caught.

I have never done Indian names here...I'm sure I could come up with some good ones.

Krystyn said...

He totally got caught.

I have never done Indian names here...I'm sure I could come up with some good ones.

Anonymous said...

Did you forget Libby's nickname that Uncle Ed still uses for her...Typhoid Libby????

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Love the nicknames... Love the picture!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

BabeeLove said...

So cute and Funny! I love this post so much that I have to share my kiddos nicknames. My 3yo daughter Alexa's nicknames consist of Lexa, Lessa, Lex, Lexi, Lex Rie (short for Alexa Marie), Lexi Lou and Lexi Lou Lou. My 18mo son Collin got his nickname when we brought him home from the hospital and his sister could only say "Lolli". We called him Lolli for the longest time and has evolved into Colli, Collina, Colli Lolli Doodle ala Day, Col and Little C.

heidi said...

Gah. What IS it with the male gender? I've always got someone lunging after me trying to grab a hold of the goodies. If it's not Rob trying to cop a feel, it's Corban telling everyone that mommy has BOOOOOBIES but most often it's Brennan, ripping my shirt off in search of a snack. In Front of people.