Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Monthly Craft Challenge

I have never participated in Heidi's monthly craft challenge before, because well...I'm not crafty. But I love Fall and (even though it is still weeks away) Thanksgiving so I decided to jump in for this month's Fall-themed craft fun.
These decoupage pumpkins are really cute and so easy to make! Emma Jane even helped me!
(Sidebar: I don't know if "decoupage" is the correct word for what I did to these pumpkins, because I don't actually know what decoupage means. Like I said, I am not crafty! But it sounds good and I like saying it, so that is what we are calling it!)
To create these adorable decorations you will need:
a small pumpkin (or as many as you want to make)
fall-themed cocktail napkins
Elmer's glue and water
Step 1. Tear the napkins into small pieces

Step 2. Mix equal parts glue and water. Paint pumpkins with glue/water mixture.


Step 3. Place torn napkins over pumpkins and press down.
Step 4. When glue is dry, paint pumpkins with glue/water mixture again and let dry. (again.)

And voila!

These should keep throughout the Fall season.
But when Thanksgiving is over and you start decorating for Christmas be sure to chuck these into the trash. Because pumpkins will eventually spoil and you really don't want to unpack your Fall decorations next year only to find rotten pumpkins have ruined it all! :)

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Cute. I've seen people do a lot of things with napkins lately.

Granna said...

EJ should have known how to make these. We made them last year with Aunt Martha.

Krystyn said...

Super cute pumpkins!

Angie S said...

So fun...I'm gonna do that with Layla...she will have a ball!!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

You go, Lauren!! I'm so glad you decided to join in the fun this month and to do something fun and crafty with your daughter is even better! I bet she had such a fun time crafting with her momma! ;) Love the *warning* at the end about not storing the pumpkins with your Fall decor. Good tip! ;) You'll have to join again...you're always welcome!

Cyndi said...

How cute. You made me realize that I haven't taken my fall tote down to decorate for fall! The 90 plus weather makes me want to cut watermelon and grill burgers to eat by the pool!
Nicholas thanks you, we will be crafty tonight while the boys are out. :)

JennyMac said...

What a cutie pie! And the pumpkins turned out darling.

Pam said...

VERY cute! We'll have to try that.

I know how much you adore Fall. But really, can't you hold off on the turkey placemats until Halloween is over? I'm just saying.