Sunday, September 20, 2009

What's cooking - squash

I think yellow squash is a very under appreciated vegetable. At least, it is very under appreciated at my house! Neither my husband nor children like squash. (Although I blame the husband for the children not liking it!)

I will freely admit that squash can be mushy and tasteless when prepared incorrectly and honestly it is really easy to mess up. And I have messed it up alot! In fact, Brad told me not to make it any more a while back. But I have recently realized where my attempts at making squash yummy in the past have failed.
You see, I was trying to make it not mushy. I wanted my squash to have that just barely cooked, crisp-tender texture that green beans and asparagus have (when prepared correctly.) But it turns out, squash (unless raw) is not a crispy vegetable!
(I realize for many of you this might be a "duh" moment, but for me it was an "aha" moment so just go with me.)
By not cooking my squash long enough, it was coming out tasteless. No more! Let me introduce you to the little piece of heaven that is slow-cooked squash! Long cooking in a covered pot concentrates the sweet, nutty taste of squash. (Yes, it will still be mushy, but oh.my.goodness. does it taste good!!)
Plus, it is super easy! You have got to give this one a try!
Ingredients ~ Serves 4
2 tablespoons olive oil (1 tablespoon is actually enough!)
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 yellow squashes (8 ounces each), thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Directions
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low. Add onion, squashes, and 2 tablespoons water. Season with salt and pepper, and toss well. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 30 to 35 minutes. If the vegetables start to brown during cooking, just lower the heat and add a splash of water.
Recipe From Everyday Food, September 2007

6 comments:

Pam said...

This is pretty much how I make mine except it goes into that black box of sin called the microwave. I'll have to give the slow cooking a whirl. Thanks for the tip!

Bethany said...

My mom used to make squash like this! I probably didn't like it as a child but I'd love it now! ;)

Emily said...

Yum, squash is my favorite veggie! I love it grilled, however, since it's raining here, I think I'll try this recipe tonight.
Did Brad and the girls give it a shot?

~Kate~ said...

I LOVE squash!!! It's a big hit in this house no matter what I do to it.

Angie S said...

I love squash...I must buy some today! Yours looks so yummy!!!

Kim said...

I tried it! It's great!