Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stupid Disposable Diaper!

I use cloth for a lot of reasons.
They are environmentally friendly, more cost effective, a bazillion times cuter!
But yesterday, while traveling to visit my sister, I was reminded of the real reason I use cloth.
My sis lives as far from me as possible while still residing in the United States. While I am a hop, skip and a jump away from Cuba, she can yell across the border to the Canadians. So we had to fly to get there.
Now I have traveled with cloth before, but only on a road trip. I decided to save suitcase space (and avoid the hassle of washing at someone else's house) and just switch to disposables for the week.
(I did tear up a little when I had to wrap my baby's sweet little bum in that pitiful paper diaper, but my bff assured me that I was being irrational so I stuck to it!) Everything was fine during the first leg of the trip. When we changed planes, I put a fresh diaper on John so he should have been fine until we reached my sister's house.
But...
20 minutes into the flight, I felt the tell-tale rumble of my son filling his shorts! I asked the flight attendant if there was a changing station in the bathroom. She checked, there was, so I immediately went to change him. (Less than 3 minutes has elapsed.)
When I laid him down I realized that not only had the breastmilk poop shot up out of the diaper clear up to his neck, it had actually soaked through the back of his ridiculously expensive Pampers diaper! I had to strip him down, wipe off his whole body with disposable wipes (don't even get me started on those!) and since his outfit was ruined he spent the rest of the flight naked!
Not only was my baby cold, but he was cold in an ugly diaper!!
I spent the rest of the flight praying he didn't poop again and today my sister, who thankfully lives in a very crunchy town, took me to this great baby store downtown that carries bummis products and I got 12 prefolds and a couple of covers. I will ne-ver travel without my cloth diapers again!!
Anyone interested in a pack of size 3 Pampers minus a few diapers?
I need a good laugh...tell me some of your diapering mishaps!!

14 comments:

Julie said...

LOL! Too funny.

Once right after my daughter was born (my first child) I took her to my 4 or 6 week obgyn check. Everyone ooh'd and ahh'd at her in her cute little outfit and in her baby carrier/carseat thing. I needed to nurse while waiting so they let me go into the office to sit and nurse while I waited. I took her out to nurse and her whole back was covered in poop, her whole outfit and the whole inside of the carseat. Then I realize I didn't even bring a diaper bag when I left the house so I had nothing! I was mortified, this was like my first trip out alone in public with my new baby. So I covered her all up with a blanket, stressed through my entire appt and drove straight home to clean her up. I felt so guilty for letting her sit like that but I was so embarrassed that I didn't know what to do. Plus when I got home I realized I had poop on my clothes too...it was a long day to say the least...

Emily said...

I'm totally laughing with you! Maybe you put the diaper on backwards! LOL just kidding. And what's your beef w/ disposable wipes?

Angie S said...

It NEVER fails...big poop happens when I am not at home. Hayden had a blowout this past weekend while out with friends. I was wishing a big black hole would just suck me in. I feel ya girl!

Morgan said...

LOL! I remember one time when Ella was really little Luke was holding her facing outwards with her butt against his stomach. He could tell she was "going" but didn't think anyting of it. That is until he felt something warm and yellow running down his arm and hand! It had leaked out both leg holes and up the back. It was so gross! Luke's shirt was completely covered. He wouldn't even let me wash it. He immediately threw it away and it was one of his favorite shirts.

Sorry that had to happen on the plane. I'd like to try out those size 3's though. Ella is in a 4 in Luvs but they run really big on her (I've noticed that Pampers run slightly bigger than Luvs too). I bet the 3's would still fit.

Hope the rest of your trip turns out better :)

Jennie said...

SO IN LOVE with our cloth diapers!! We had to use disposables when our daughter was first born because she was a preemie and the cloths wouldn't fit and I'm telling you, those things leak like a sieve, are EXPENSIVE, and I did more laundry/baby washing because of those things than I ever have with the cloth.

James, Andrea, and Clara Smith said...

Oh, cloth is amazing! I tried every possible type of disposable diaper and lots of different diaper changing theories (was I not changing her enough? was I waiting too long before changing her? was her diaper already wet?), but BF poop leaked 3 out of every 4 times she filled her diaper--many times up to her neck. I had to perpetually be prepared to change her entire wardrobe--maybe more than once--during an outing. Since switching to cloth not only do I feel great about not puting nasty plastics and chemicals on her skin, but NO LEAKS! Wow! I wish someone had told me this earlier!

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Oh no! Poor baby. I like cloth too but usually use 7th Generation when we leave the house. I hope your return trip is/was better diaper-wise...?

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Oh no! Poor baby. I like cloth too but usually use 7th Generation when we leave the house. I hope your return trip is/was better diaper-wise...?

shortmama said...

Always happens when you are not at home...never fails!

Jen said...

Been there done that. But I didn't know that cloth diapers stopped this from happening. I just thought it happened. Interesting.

Kelli said...

Do you have advice for a couple who just had twins and bought a ton of cloth diapers but say that they leak.

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks said...

:( oh man. i've sooooooo been there. since switching to cloth (rumparooz make up my entire stash) i've yet to have any issues. i do switch to sposies when we travel to CA :( my teenage siblings would freak.the.eff.out if i used cloth at my parents house.

heidi said...

You're such a snotty granola, aren't you? Geesh. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Uh, I'm sure I have poop stories with all 4 kids but I'm lacking any that include diapers exploding right now. They've all exploded out of them in some capacity, though. I'm too lazy to cloth diaper. I thought about it with Corban and B and decided I didn't want much like washing poopy undies so I wouldn't like washing poopy nappies. Blech.

Jaime said...

I know exactly how this is. Those blowouts are a big reason why I switched to cloth!

A few weeks ago my son and I rode with my parents to the Lake for a 3day camping trip. I didn't know if I could make it 3 days with my cloth diapers and I didn't have a good place to store them not having my car or my own space. I was too scared to use the campsite washer and dryer and I had some left over disposables from before I switched.

We had almost gotten to the campsite but stopped at the storage place nearby to pick up the camper and Charlie was being fussy so I got him out of the carseat only to find he had poop up his back and out both legs. I was so frustrated! Luckily we didn't have any blowouts the rest of the trip and I had brought two cloth diapers for the trip home!