Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Body After Baby: Week 1 - My Goals


I am jumping on the Body After Baby bandwagon! Samantha from Mama Notes created this blog carnival as a way for those of us that are struggling to reclaim our postpartum bodies to encourage and support each other. At this point in my weight loss, I really need the accountability. I am at that crucial last 10 lbs. It is so easy at this point to throw in the towel and say, "it's just 10 lbs." Most people, my husband included, don't even really remember what I looked like without this extra weight and so it is easy to believe when someone tells me how good I look for having a 5 month old baby!

But then I stand in front of my closet and the reality is that 95% of my clothes just don't fit. And the ones that do fit, aren't comfortable. And I remember my old body and I want it back! And I know I can do it, because I have done it before!

After Libby was born, I will be honest and say that I didn't even try to lose the weight. It just came off. (Don't hate me, just keeping reading. I get my comeuppance later.) I thought that breastfeeding was the key to post baby weight loss and that if everyone just breastfed their babies then we would all be hot, skinny mamas. Seriously. I thought that! But you know what they say about pride coming before the fall? Let me introduce you to the fall...her name is Emma Jane and she arrived 20 months later!

My weight loss with EJ plateaued at 3 weeks. No lie! Six months later I was still almost 30 lbs overweight, so I joined Weight Watchers. I cannot say enough good things about this program!! I lost all of the weight and between diet and exercise, by the time EJ was 18 months old, I was in the best shape of my life! And then almost immediately, I got preggo again and there went my fabulous body. Go figure!

So here I am a year later in the same boat. I don't have as much weight to lose, but it is stubborn weight. I don't feel comfortable going back to Weight Watchers over such a measly number of pounds (my own personal hangup) so I am thrilled that Samantha started this. You, dear blogiverse, will be my Weight Watchers! I am putting my goals out there for everyone to see and each week I will be updating you on my successes and failures and hopefully at the end of the 8 week challenge, I will have accomplished my goals and see some real results! So here are my goals for the next 8 weeks:

1. I want to lose 6 lbs. (My ultimate goal is 10 lbs, but that seemed unrealistic for just 8 weeks.)
2. I want to drink 8 glasses a day.
3. I want to exercise at least 5 times a week.
4. I want to eat at least 5 servings of fresh fruit and vegetables a day.
5. For the month of October, I am giving up sweets! Sugar is my downfall and a huge hindrance to my weight loss, so no more peanut butter m&ms for me! (Is there rehab available for chocoholics, because peanut butter m&ms are my crack!)

Every week, Samantha is issuing a mini-challenge that will earn points towards the Ultimate Body After Baby challenge. This week's challenge is to drink more water. Each glass of water is worth 1 point, so hopefully by this time next week I will have earned 56 points! (Drinking that much water is not easy for me, but I know from experience that it is a crucial element in weight loss!)

Thanks in advance for the support, encouragement and accountability! I would love to encourage you too! If you have unwanted baby weight hanging on, head over to Mama Notes to join the Body After Baby Challenge! There is nothing to lose but the pounds!

10 comments:

blueviolet said...

I wish you the best of luck. It's always that last bit of weight which is such a hard thing to remove!

Angie S said...

I'm thinking...I might do this too...Hhhmmmm??

Lynda said...

You are so brave to give up sweets the month the stores are FILLED with them!

Good luck in the challenge!

Lynda said...

Oh, also; I'm new to your site and your kids are ADORABLE.

Anna said...

I'm wishing you lots of luck. I understand what you mean about looking in the mirror and it just isn't what you want to see. No matter what anyone else says.

I gave you an award over on my blog.
http://annathanmagz.blogspot.com/

Krystyn said...

10 pounds, really? I don't believe you!

And, I thought you aren't supposed to diet when you are nursing?

Best of luck. I've still got 10 to go!

Emily said...

I know you are going to cheat w/ some peanut butter M&Ms! ;P

Lindsay said...

Um, let me know if you find a 12-step program for sugar-holics. Seriously. I'll eat a bag of M&M's over a steak, anyday!

Best of luck to you!!

bass family said...

Good luck! I'm on the body after baby bandwagon too :) By the way, your kids are just beautiful!

samantha said...

Cute blog! Just wanted to stop by and offer up my support. I'm on the program to and have a lot of work cut out for me. Keep up the good work!!