Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's Cooking - Figs

A few weeks ago, I stole borrowed some of my mother's back issues of Everyday Food magazine. I love to cook, although I haven't done much cooking since John was born. Armed with mother's my mags, I was ready to get back in the kitchen!
I found a really yummy recipe in the October 2008 issue for Boneless Pork Loin with Figs and Port Sauce:
Figs are currently in season, and were available from my organic co-op last week. Since I new I had a fig recipe, I bought some. Now prior to this my only experience with a fig was the non-cookie goodness of a newton.
I didn't even know what a fresh fig looked like! Aren't they pretty?
They are tasty too! I tried one raw and while I don't think it is going to become my new favorite snack food, it was good. Very mild and not too sweet.
The recipe was really easy but it comes out looking so impressive and tasting even better! I don't have a picture of my dinner, because it was eaten too fast for a photo opp.
So, if you have never tried a fig, I recommend taking advantage of this tasty seasonal treat! As Julia Child would say, "Bon Appetit!"
Here is the recipe directly from the Everyday Food website:
Pork works well with many kinds of fruit, but the subtle sweetness of fresh figs (plus port wine) makes for an especially seductive combination.
Prep: 20 minutes Total: 50 minutes
Ingredients
Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 shallot, diced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup port wine
1/2 pound ripe fresh figs (about 8), stemmed and halved
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Generously season pork with salt and pepper; brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Transfer skillet to oven, and continue to cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of pork registers 145 degrees, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer pork to a plate; tent loosely with aluminum foil (reserve skillet).
Place skillet over medium heat; add shallot, and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Gradually whisk in port; cook until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2 to 3 minutes. Add figs; cook until warmed through, about 1 minute (adjust consistency of sauce with water if needed). Slice pork, and serve with figs and port sauce.
First published: October 2008

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Those are pretty. I'm glad you are able to get back to doing something that you love. That's always a treat!

Danielle said...

I am so glad you posted this I saw the figs in the co op and wanted to try them but just had no idea what to do with them:)

Emily said...

that does sound good. I really like figs. Funny, I bought some the other day too because my Cooking Light mag had a whole section with recipes using figs!

Krystyn said...

Looks yummy! I'm pretty sure I've never had a fig.

And, I gotta say that the fig looks like something that you would find in an anatomy class!

Jen said...

Oh I LOVE figs. Yum!

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Oh no, figs! Duck! That's OK, I still like you anyway. :)

Fun new look for your blog!

Melissa Boyer said...

I am going to try to cook this tonight, but I am telling my husband it is fruit sauce b/c if I tell him what it really is he will give me that look and pick around the figs and just eat the meat so he want hurt my feelings, but if I sort of tell the truth he will eat it and say it is great! So sad that my biggest lies to my husband are about food.

Angie S said...

I remember my grandparents having a fig tree years ago on their farm...We used to get in trouble b/c we'd throw them at the barn wall. Guess I should branch out and give them a whirl. Sounds yummy.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Impressive! I probably would have seen the word fig on the ingredient list and quickly turned the page. I'm such a wimp and definitely not an "out of the box" type of cooker.

Jackie at 3littleones said...

i've never tried a fig either (except for the good ole' fig newtons - which I do enjoy). That dinner looks delicious - I'm gonna have to give it a try - thanks for sharing!