Monday, August 17, 2009

Pontificating on Procreating (the end)

So as I am sure you have guessed...the chart failed me!
(If you have no idea what I am talking about read Part 1 and Part 2 before continuing.)
After more than 30 days of diligent data collection, I realized AF was MIA. No, biggie. I did just stop taking hormones, it was probably just a little late.
After 45 days, I figured that I was just skipping a month as my body regulated itself. As I approached 60, my highly amused completely sympathetic bff had a heart to heart with me. She drove me to Walgreens and held my hand.
Seven and a half months later, we welcomed JT.
I know, shocking!
So, now we have arrived at the point of this very long ramble. That's right, there is a point! Here it is: I am stumped about birth control.
Obviously a traditional pill isn't an option.
Bizarro Lauren = Divorced Lauren
The mini is really only effective when breastfeeding and honestly, I have other issues with the pill in general. But I don't really want to start a discussion on my opinions about the pill so moving on...
As for NFP, there is a reason Catholic families have so many children. (Not that I am against Catholicism or big families. Don't put words in my mouth!)
Brad has been talking about the big V, but I am just not ready to take a permanent step like that. I want another child someday. I just don't want one in the next 18 months!

So here I am, sitting in the intersection of indecision. Cars behind me are starting to honk and their drivers are giving me the finger. And I just don't know what to do!

Any advice? Seriously, if you know something I don't, please tell me! Otherwise, I will probably be introducing you to Snellings #4 this time next year!

And then we will have been through all of this shameless indescretion girl talk without accomplishing anything! Other than you now knowing more about my sex life than you ever wanted to!
The end.

19 comments:

Mama Zen said...

I have the exact same issues with the older, traditional pills, but I've good luck with Yaz. It might be worth checking out!

Emily said...

I totally love your blatant honesty!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JennyMac said...

I got on the Mirena. LOVE IT. It is effective immediately and when you remove it, there is no long delay in your body's ability to get pregnant.

And no periods. MORE LOVE.

shortmama said...

Ive got no advice for ya. I was off the pill for 3 years trying to get pregnant with daughter number two. When she was born we used good ol latex until after she was 1. And then hubs went in for the big V

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks said...

abstinence? kidding, kidding, i kid. no advice. bfeeding has worked well for us so far *knock on wood* My Mr. Man leaves soon for a d e p l o y m e n t, so i'm not too stressed about occupants in my uterus anytime soon.

Denise said...

Not sure if they are even still around, but we achieved our 8 yr break between #2 & #3 with a diaphram.

I don't recommend any type of IUD, #5 was our IUD baby, the IUD was delivered with the placenta about 10 minutes after she was born. Scary pregnancy, but fortunately she suffered no damage from the IUD.

Danielle said...

Tell Brad to get over his diagreement with latex. I tried YAZ and it made me even more crazy. Tried to go back on the traditional pill and it gave me horrible tooth sensitivity that I thought I had a mouth full of cavities. Turned out it just does that to some women. Good luck

Anna said...

don't ask me...baby owen #3 will be here in february. baby #3 = mini pill DOES NOT WORK

Angie S said...

The Mirena seems to be working for me so far...I love it. Your comment about the jalapeno pepper griller had me rolling this morning! You don't seem bitter at all :) HAHA!!!

Pam said...

I was still laughing from Parts 1 & 2.

Stuck at the intersection of indecison. Cars behind you honking and giving you the finger. HILARIOUS stuff, I tell ya. Just hilarious!

So Snellings #4 will be here exactly when, so I can go ahead and mark my calendar early?

Granna said...

You might take up running. Notice how nicely spaced your siblings are...my running partner moved in June, your brother was born in April...just a thought.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

No advice to give, but man you have a way with telling a story! Kept me wondering what was happening next! I really thought that you were going to say that you were expecting again! ;)

So, I'm a bit behind. I came to visit your blog and there are 22 posts that I have missed!! What's up with that!? Hopefully I'll get back to a more regular reading schedule.

Kelli said...

I'm no help here...maybe you were just meant to have lots of babies.

Kim said...

You already know my thoughts, but I feel compelled to share a little something with you...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In ALL your ways, acknowledge him and HE will direct your paths. Prov 3:5-6

I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his own steps. Jer 10:23

Children are a heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. Psalm 127

For anyone interested in learning more about this perspective, I recommend reading Family Unplanning by Craig Houghton.

Jackie at 3littleones said...

I completely sympathize w/ you (but really don't have any suggestions)! I am in the exact same boat as you. We actually had my husband scheduled for the big V back in July and canceled less than 12 hours before he was supposed to be headed for the hospital!!! Like you, I also think I want another sometime in the future (definitely don't want to be pregnant by the end of 2009 - but w/ our history, family is starting to take bets on it!). Good luck w/ the birth control thing - if you figure something out, let me know :) And if I hear of any other options - I'll share too!

Megan R. said...

Shall we just call you Michelle Duggar?? LOL What about a hormone free IUD?

Me, you and just a few... said...

I'm a CCL promoter and I was wondering if you actually took a class or learn on your own? They have all new/updated classes and you will learn everything you need to know about returned fertility from the postpartum class...I took it in February after my number 3 was born. ( it was SO informative)

It helps when Hubs goes to class too and knows what your body is doing.. it shouldn't be all on your shoulders...easier said then done, I know! (half the time I tell Hubs "you want a baby in 9 months? no? then back off!" )
And just remember GOD is in control...we humans hate giving up that control and we worry that HE night give us the gift of a child if we trust HIM too much, but He sees the big picture and knows what we need, maybe not now, but later.
We just celebrated my baby brothers 20th b-day today...my parents are 57 and 60...what would they do if they didn't have him around to help with the yard work and when they need things moved or to get something off the top shelf...so don't just think about right now , think about your future.

Jennie said...

NFP actually works Very Well, and is great because no drugs needed. When it doesn't work it's most often because the program isn't be followed religiously (sorry for the pun) and that is imperative. We used NFP to not get pregnant, to help us get pregnant, and now again, to not get pregnant. Don't knock it 'til you try it :)