Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Losing my mind one playdate at a time

I am one of those people that can't function without a list.  If it isn't on my list, it isn't getting done.  And often even if it is on my list, it will get overlooked. 
 I find this to be especially true at the grocery store.  I take the time to plan menus, double check the fridge and pantry, make a list in order by grocery aisles and inevitably something will still get left behind!
In addition to my lists, I am very dependant on my day planner.  I started using one in college and have been hooked ever since.  With the aid of these crutches helpful tools, I give off a pretty convincing illusion of being organized. 
But I am not. 
At all. 
Organization is contrary to every fiber of my being...hence the need for crutches helpful tools.
Unfortunately, I have come to realize that failure to write anything down appropriately utilize organization tools renders said tools utterly useless.  Obvious, I know! 
I have been really having a hard time with this lately.  I used to have a pretty good system in place, and yet for some reason it is falling apart.  I have just stopped writing things down and my brain can't remember why!
So I look at my planner, it seems as if I have nothing planned, so I schedule a playdate for Libby.
And then, the day before the playdate, I realize that I do in fact have conflicting plans.
No biggie!  I call the mom, explain that I am a complete doof forgot about previous plans and we reschecule for the following week.
But...
I double booked myself...AGAIN!
This time I am embarrassed when I call her up to explain my faux pas.  But, and this is why I really want to be this woman's friend, she is completely understanding and we simply reschedule again.
But...
Oh yeah!  I did it again!!
What is my problem?  I want to blame my children, but I can't remember why it is their fault.  Surely I am too young to be experiencing the first stages of dementia...I am only twenty-nine twenty-four!
Ah, well, I am off to make a humiliating phone call. 
Now where did I put the phone...

11 comments:

Emily said...

LOL! I, sadly, am the same way. In fact, I'm pretty sure people just consider me to be their flakey friend by now!

Angie S said...

Ha! It happens to me too! I tell Gary EVERyDAy that I have short term memory loss! Arghhh...it is so frustrating!

Tiffany said...

I know just how you feel!!!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Been there. Done that. Could write a book about it.

Honestly, WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR BRAINS AFTER WE HAVE CHILDREN?!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Krystyn said...

Something to do with three kids and those dang placentas sucking out your brain cells, right?

shortmama said...

Its called mom brain...those kids suck out all the parts that make us normal functioning adults.

Kelli said...

Sounds like me. I have to write things down right when I remember. Sometimes that means I have to stop in the middle of something else, but if I don't I'll forget. I'm also one who depends on a list and overlook things on it ALL the time. Hang in there.

Foursons said...

If it doesn't get written down it does not exist in my life. Period.

Mr. Daddy said...

You sound just like Rach... A list for almost everything...

I on the other hand never commit anything to print...

she remembers to much of what I forget as it is, I want nothing documented... ROFL

Rachel said...

Okay... I was already laughing about your post.

Then I read my dear husband's comment.

And was steaming after the first FIVE words. Cuz (ahem) I thought he was saying I forget everything.

Cuz I kinda sorta do and that's why I have to write things down. LISTS!!! LISTS!!!

I call it "Mommy Brain".

And he is absolutely right about not wanting anything in writing... the little scoundrel!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

I have been seeing some "mommy brain" in me lately, too. Now, this is a big shocker because I have always been good about being organized and top of things, especially calendar dates and future events. I MUST write everything down or I'm in big trouble. Hope it all went well with breaking the news to your friend...again! ;)