Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do you know where your children are?

When it comes to his work or his yard or house projects, my hubby is very detail oriented. Almost to a fault. Meaning he is completely OCD and it really annoys me sometimes!


But when it comes to our children, his attention to detail is somewhat lacking! For example, last week we were at the mall running errands. I sent Brad to Chick fil A with the girls, while I finished up what I was doing. About 30 minutes later he called me to see if I was about done. I still had to run to the bookstore but he was bored they were finished, so they all came along too!



We all walked to the other side of the mall to Walden Books. The book I wanted was on a display table so I didn't even have to look for it! I grabbed my copy and then told Brad to watch the girls while I paid. This whole outing should have taken all of two minutes...



Unfortunately the man checking me out was really slow...and Brad got distracted.

As I waited for Mr. Watching Grass Grow to scan my coupon. 15 times. And then (since I lost my rewards card) painstakingly type in my email address one.letter.at.a.time. Whew! I noticed my husband out of the corner of my eye, flipping through a magazine.



Alone.

Me: Um, honey, do you know where your children are?

Brad: *crickets chirp*

Me: *raises eyebrows*
Brad: uh, let me look...



two seconds later...

Brad: Emma Jane, get down from there!
Me: So what was she doin'?
Brad: hmph, she was climbing up the shelf.
Me: Brad. Watch the children.



I finally managed to purchase my book (it took less time to read it than to buy it!) and then make it home with all of my kids!

16 comments:

Emily said...

That is hilarious...and totally you and Brad! LOL
What was the book?

Angie S said...

HA! Climbing the shelf...too funny!!

Jackie at 3littleones said...

That was a funny story! And I can so relate :) I think Dad's just underestimate what kids can get into - LOL! Glad you made it home w/ everyone!

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks said...

i so relate. i always do the two finger point to my eyes his eyes my eyes again & say "you're in charge. watch.the.kids."

Kameron said...

Don't they realize that the little buggers are fast?? My hubby is constantly turning his head only for my son tro take off running!!

Kmama said...

Cute story. I think it's a "man" gene to be oblivious to the children. I found your blog via Rachel and Mr. Daddy's.

Foursons said...

Yup. I know that story well!

shortmama said...

That sounds about right! My hubs has "lost" our kids in the house when he was supposed to watch them.

Tranquility said...

"where HIS children are" - HILARIOUS! ;)

Rachel said...

Sometimes I have to remind Mr. Daddy that his child is THREE YEARS OLD and has the reasoning abilities of a manic squirrel. That means you actually have to keep a set of eyes on him unless you want him to pop open your gas cap and see how many pieces of gravel he can fit into it. Or how many Cheerios he can stick up his nose.

I must admit, I think the man is terrified whenever the kiddo gets an owie on his watch... he knows what my first question is gonna be (right DEAR?)

And thank goodness she was ONLY climbing a shelf, eh?

This was too funny - look at all the moms who could totally relate!

Thanks for joining up!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I blame you. A man should not be expected to watch his own kids for more than two minutes if standing still. You were just asking for trouble. Why can't women just understand us?

Krystyn said...

Too funny...daddies never equal mommies.

Pam said...

Krystyn is SO right! Daddies NEVER equal Mommies. And never will.

I can totally see that whole scenario playing out in the book store. Right down to the bewildered look on his face.

I feel your pain!

Bethany said...

Oh my gosh, that's so funny!!

Mr. Daddy said...

I gotta agree with Mr. Nurse Boy...
"A little understanding Please" *snicker*

Kelli said...

This story has me in tears!