Monday, August 10, 2009

Are you there, God? It's me, Libby.

I think one of my favorite parts of being a mother is watching my children grow in their love for God. Libby loves church and bible stories. And she is starting to memorize verses and pray on her own.


While most of her prayers are about her toys and the sunshine, she is starting to pray more often about others without prompting. Even though all of her prayers still start with "thank you", God knows what she means by "thank you for Bekah's hurt finger." Plus, it is really cute to listen to!


Recently, Libby has added confession of sin to her prayer time repertoire. Unfortunately, the sins she is confessing are not her own! Last week, while we were visiting my mother, Libby prayed this at dinner one night:

"Dear Jesus, thank you for our day and for sidewalk chalk. And thank you that Emma Janey is such a disobedient girl. Thank you that she got out of her bed over and over again and Mommy had to give her a spanking...Oh, and thank you for our food. Amen"
My mom and I were almost in tears from trying not to laugh. And the next night, Libby's prayer was similar:
"Dear God, thank you for Emma Jane being naughty and going to time out. And thank you that Emma Jane didn't take a nap and get to have a popsicle. Amen"
And it just kept coming.
In the car: "Dear God, thank you that Emma Jane and John won't stop crying."

At home: "Dear God, thank you that Emma Jane threw bath toys and had to get out of the tub.

During family devotions: "Dear God, thank you that Emma Janey didn't listen to the story and couldn't watch a show before bed."


I think it is time to teach Libby a new bible verse.


Matthew 7:4 "How can you say to your [sister] 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?"


Who thinks my sweet Libby will get hung up on what a plank is?


7 comments:

Summer said...

Ok..this is just too funny!

Krystyn said...

That is too funny. Let the tattling begin!

Emily said...

hahahahaha! That is hilarious! Jack one time told me he didn't need to pray but Melody did!

Kelli said...

I left you an award/tag at my spot.

Vanessa said...

Poor EJ, she'll never be able to get away with anything! LOL Libby is so funny.

shortmama said...

That is so cute! I love listening to my 7yo say her prayers too. Sometimes she still needs reminders that prayers should be thankful.

Jen said...

oh that is just so funny and sweet.