Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Writers Workshop - "He is a boil on the butt of humanity"

Well said, Ousier!

For this week's Writer's Workshop:

2.) Describe a situation that forced you to confront a neighbor

This actually didn't have to be a confrontation. It started out as my husband being a good neighbor. But our backyard neighbor is one of those that wears his a** as a hat, so you know how those things go.



So our neighbor (lets call him dude, because that is what Brad called him) has this beautiful, huge oak tree in his yard that hangs over into our yard. This by itself is not a problem, it actually creates nice shade. But the tree was choking with moss that was falling into hubby's hedges and killing our lygustrum (I probably spelled that wrong!). (My husband is very into his yard work so to him this was a big deal.)



Now since the tree was crossing onto our property, we were within our rights to cut back the branches. My husband, being the nice guy that he is, went over to tell dude his plans. So one evening Brad rings the doorbell and dude's wife answers and says "What?" Brad introduces himself and tells her that he lives in the house behind him and she responds with "So." No nice to meet you, just "so."



Brad is starting to get a little flustered by the rudeness. So he says, "I am hear to talk to you about your oak tree." At this point, dude pipes up from in the house "what the hell is going on out there." Dude then comes to the door and Brad repeats himself and dude is all "I don't care what you do with the tree. Just cut the damn thing down if you want to!"



So Brad says, "I can't talk to you anymore." and he leaves. And he comes home and tells me all about this. He was so upset because he was trying to do the right thing and these people were just so rude! Brad doesn't like confrontation, especially when it is so unexpected!


So we did hire an arborist to cut back the tree and dude sat out in his backyard and watched!



Do you have crappy neighbors? Tell us about it! Visit MamaKat and link up!




8 comments:

Emily said...

Dude is a serious A55!

Momisodes said...

Good grief, how rude! I'm so sorry they were so abrasive with your hubby. That would certainly add an air of tension.
Luckily, our neighbors on both sides are lovely, but we do have 1 back neighbor with 2 kids...who are incredibly obnoxious!

Krystyn said...

Totally an a55hat! Urrrrhhh.

shortmama said...

Dude and his wife have issues!

Bren said...

Well I've written about my rock throwing neighbor kids (and their parents who can't seem to watch them). I HATE rudeness. Your hubby handled it much better than I would have!

Jen said...

Neighbors! What are we going to do about them?

Summer said...

I have a neighbor who has three kids with three different moms. So, thats fun. One of those kids likes to tell my son he's going to kick his butt.

Even more fun.

Neighbors are great aren't they?

heidi said...

Total A$$hat.