Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rainy Day Fun

It's been two days of pouring rain at our house. Hubby has had to drain the pool a few inches twice to keep it from overflowing and the back porch is flooded!


The first thing Libby said to me this morning was "Are we going anywhere today?" Since I am not about to take three kids out in the monsoon and sitting around staring at each other isn't an option either, I quickly dug deep into the part of my brain where the kindergarten teacher hides and pulled out a few rainy day activities.

Rainy Day Activity #1 - The "Noodle Table"

Okay, so it isn't really noodles, it's a box of dry beans. But in Libby's classroom at school there was a sensory table and the last month of school it was filled with noodles. Libby called it the noodle table so we are going with it.
Rainy Day Activity #2 - Cooking with Mommy

What is better for lunch on a rainy day than fish sticks? These are way better than anything in your grocery store freezer section. We made these with fresh tilapia cut into nugget-sized chunks. Then the girls dipped the nuggets into an egg/milk mixture. Then the fun part: the nuggets went into a ziploc bag with 1/2 cup of seasoned fish fry and they shake, shake, shaked until they were all coated evenly.Into the oven (400*) for 12 minutes and then it's time to eat! We served them with "pink sauce."

Rainy Day Activity #3 - Cleaning the playroom

That is pretty self explanatory, but so much fun when we sing the Barney clean up song as we go!

Rainy Day Activity #4 - "paper" dolls

This is actually made out of Foamies from Michaels. Libby picked out the outfit, shoes and hair for her doll and then gave her some accessories.



Now it is 2pm and I am out of rainy day fun ideas, so Libby is watching the Sprout channel while EJ takes a nap.

9 comments:

Bren said...

Wow! You had a jam packed day! I hope it stops raining for you soon!

Kelli said...

Now I have the Barney song in my head. Those are great rainy ideas and the fish sticks sound good. I also have to look for those dolls.

Pam said...

Oh, you are so far ahead of me! I'm impressed that you could actually come up with anything since you must still have "Mommy Brain" with JT being so young. And needy. Plus 2 other needy little girls. On a 2nd rainy day.

And fish sticks from scratch? You go girl!

Emily said...

Yeah, you really need to move back in Atlanta so my kids can come play at your house on a rainy day!

Krystyn said...

Wow...those are some fabulous activities. We made paper fireworks today.

Tonya said...

I'm calling you the next time it rains and you can run some activities over here!

amanda said...

those like such great actvities. i'll have to find those paper doll things!! at first i thought you used a cricut to cut them all out. that would take FOREVER. and it does, i cut out the entire wedding party for my sister's wedding...lol. i was also relieved to see that my kids are not the only ones who ask 'where are we going today'. it's almost the first thing out of my kiddos mouths :0)

J.J. said...

That looks like so much fun!!!!! I love days like that!

heidi said...

Eh, I just send the kids out in the rain. HA!

Your kids eat fish? Man...tell me how to get my kids to eat it.