Monday, July 6, 2009

Good friends are excited when you get pregnant. Best friends hold your hand while you pee on the stick!

Kasey is still out of town, so Kelli from Outside my Kitchen Window is hosting Friend Makin Monday today!


So, here's today's subject:
Tell us about your BFF...where did you meet, was it BFF at first sight, how long have you been friends, etc.
What makes him/her your BFF...what is it about this person that makes him/her so special to you?



My BFF is Emily. The story of how we became friends is slightly pathetic. I had just graduated from college and moved to Atlanta. My roommate and I didn't really click. I spent all day with people from work, so I really didn't want to spend all weekend with them too. Most of my friends from college were still in Alabama. Basically I had zero friends and I was lonely. *insert sob*


I met Emily at a women's bible study. The night that I went to the group for the first time, I sat on the couch next to this blonde girl. When BS was ending, the leader had us break up in to groups of 2-3 to pray. (I didn't know at the time that that wasn't the norm, but that is what makes God so cool!) So blonde girl and less-blonde girl next to her and I formed a group. And in a moment of humility I made a prayer request for God to give me some girlfriends.


Those two girls were the answer to my prayer. The next week we met at Ben & Jerry's for ice cream. We started doing that every week. When B&J's closed we moved across the street to Starbucks. Before I knew it, we were pretty much inseparable. Since then, we have been separated. I have moved to Tampa. Stephanie (AKA less-blonde girl) has moved to Dallas and Emily is still in Atlanta. But we are all still friends.


And Emily is a best friend in the truest sense of the word. I would trust her with my life, my children's lives, my biggest secret.


When I was in denial about being pregnant, she convinced me to put the mimosa down and take a test. And then she drove me to Walgreens and came in the bathroom with me while I took it. And when the stick turned blue and I burst into tears, so did she. Although she was crying because she was so excited. I was crying because I had just gone shopping and bought lots of really cute (skinny) clothes! (And then when she told her mother that I was pg, Jenny asked "so do you and Lauren have some kind of contract stating the you have to be pregnant at the same time?" You would think based on our families.)


Even though we are separated by way too many miles, we are still close. We talk everyday, sometimes more than once. And we jump at any opportunity to see each other, whether it is for a two-year-old's birthday party or just a movie we want to see together.


I love her like a sister. And since my sister is my other best friend, that is a lot!


Emily would like for me to point out that she is not fat, but 8 months pregnant in this picture. I am six weeks pregnant, but I won't find that out until the day after this pic was taken!

20 comments:

Heather said...

Such a sweet story! You are so lucky to have Emily in your life!

Happy FMM!

Allyson said...

What a wonderful story!

Happy FMM!

Tina said...

What a great story.....aren't you glad you guys found each other!

Cute blog and family...

Happy FMM!

Bren said...

That is such a great story! Thanks for sharing it!

Pam said...

Oh, that's HYSTERICAL! And to think that it took Emily to physically take you to the store to buy the test in the 1st place. BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That certainly was some Divine Intervention going on in that Bible Study that night;-)

Tonya said...

that is such a sweet story.

Kelli said...

I don't know what happened to my original comment. I said that you guys have an amazing friendship and that was wonderful. I came back to add that I didn't read your title before and did just now and laughed out loud. So true.

Krystyn said...

I love that story. I'm pretty sure Em told me that story when were were both 8.9 months preggo...you were known to be as the NFP friend for a a while:)

Hilarious! And, so glad you have little JT now!

J.J. said...

I love how you met! God certainly provides :) You both look gorgeous in that photo!

Happy FMM!

Bitter Sweet Moments said...

Happy FMM!!! What a sweet story.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

I knew that you and Emily were friends but I guess I didn't know how good of friends! It's fun to hear how you met each other and it sounds like no distance between you will tear your treasured friendship apart! Glad to hear that God brought you a friend at just the right time!

Lins said...

What a blessing that God sent The Blonde Girl and The Less-Blonde Girl into your life right when you needed them the most! He's awesome, isn't He? :)

Can't believe I'm not a follower of yours yet! You're planted firmly in my Google Reader, but you can count me as your newest follower starting today! Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Two beautiful girls.

John Deere Mom said...

Aw, that's awesome! I love this story!!

Vivienne said...

What a great story. I got a little chill about the breaking off into small groups to pray, and I laughed out loud at "put down the mimosa" :-)
Great post.

shortmama said...

So great! God really does know what you need and has a funny way of bringing it to you sometimes!

Emily said...

Wow! Emily is the best friend ever! And she looks awesome in that picture...no way is she 8 months pregnant! Oh and the earrings she's wearing rock! lol

Momisodes said...

What a true friend, and what a great story! You both look fabulous. I love looking back on photos like those.

Morgan said...

Awww...what a sweet story!

Carie said...

What a beautiful post in honor of your friend! :-)