Monday, July 20, 2009

FMM - Vacations

Kasey is still on vacay, so this friend makin Monday is being hosted by Jolanthe at No Ordinary Moments and she has given us the following assignment:

This task has two parts {numbered ever-so-nicely for you}. You can do either one or both ~ it's up to you!
1. Tell us about the best {or worst} vacation that you've ever taken.
2. Tell us FIVE places/vacations that you would like to take at some point your life. It doesn't have to be next year...maybe it's the vacation of a lifetime or somewhere you just dream of going years from now.


My worst vacation ever? That's easy!
It was a 7-day Caribbean cruise with my family. We took this ill-fated voyage in September 2007. Libby was 2 and Emma Jane was 6 months. The trip started out fun. Libby LOVED the big boat and she quickly caught on to the all-you-can-eat-whenever-you-want-it mentality. I am pretty sure she ate nothing but hotdogs and ice cream the whole week. She had a blast doing crafts and playing games at Camp Carnival and had she been our only child the trip would probably be remembered as the best vacation ever.
Unfortunately, Emma Jane was there too. And apparently she is a big ole landlover! Trouble commenced on the very first night. While the rest of us were lulled to sleep by the gently rocking boat, Emma Jane was being tossed around in the (metal) crib that had no bumper. She was so ticked about the not-so-smooth sailing that the only way to keep her from screaming all night was to let her sleep in the bed with me and nurse. all. night. long!! She did that every single night for the entire week. I was absolutely miserable! I made Brad and Libby get off the ship in Grand Caymen without me. EJ and I stayed aboard to try to get a nap while the boat was docked.
We did manage to get home in one piece but we haven't been on a family vacation since!
So, five places I want to go (without my children!) before I die:
1. Italy
2. Hawaii
3. Ireland
4. Russia
5. Egypt
It's your turn to share! Let us know about your most memorable vacation and what your dreams are for the future! I can't wait to stop by and visit you all! Once you write your post be sure to come back here and sign up with the linky to the direct post on your blog!

15 comments:

Jolanthe said...

The 'without my children' part is a big fat ditto for me! :)

Happy FMM!

Jolanthe

Kelli said...

I'm so sorry about your cruise. Should have been a good time. I love the part about vacation without kids...nice.

Angie S said...

I could never go on a cruise...I'd be sick. I hope to do both some family trips, and some with just my hubby and I :) Happy FMM!

♥ Kenz ♥ said...

I have not been to Egypt yet, and I would definitely love to go! I think we might go when I reach my final goal, shortly after Greece or maybe at the same time as Greece? Either way, I agree with you that it sounds like a lot of fun!

Lindsay said...

ooo so wish I had put Hawaii on my list! ooo I will remember not to take kids on the cruise with me :-)

Courtney Kirkland said...

So sorry about your cruise :(
I think Hawaii would be the perfect place for a second honeymoon... :)

Tina said...

So sorry your cruise was so bad....

Happy FMM!

Ave said...

Italy and Hawaii are the places I would like to visit also.

shortmama said...

I went on a cruise a few years ago and it was both my worst and best vacation! If I manage to get time I will post it up for FMM!

snickie said...

What was the name of the cruise you went on?


that sounds like you two year old had a blast!

Rhonda said...

I would love to try a cruise someday! I am however done with nursing and babies...well until grandchildren....years from now!

Sorry it didn't turn out so great!

I want to go to Hawaii too!

Becca @ The Texas Darlings said...

UGH! I hate to hear that a cruise was your "worst"!!!

But as I have a 2 month old right now, I can totally relate to the no-sleep issue!!

Happy FMM!!
~Becca

jenjen said...

Hi Lauren!
So sorry to hear about the cruise. Your poor little baby.

What a great list! Italy is at the top of my list too!

XOXO
Jen

KarenW said...

Traveling without young children is definitely ideal!

Sean B. Halliday said...

First off, I have to say that I LOVE cruise ships.
I spent over 12 years working on them as a Scuba Instructor,
Shore Excursion Manager and an IT Officer.

For 2 years I also worked shoreside in Miami as a database IT guy.

During my years on ships, I have to stay that many things happened
and that life is definately stranger than fiction on cruise ships.

Many people have asked me to share the stories I have collected over
the years, so I am complying with their request.

My site is: www.cruiseshipstories.com

If you had any stories of your own to add, please
send them to me and I will be happy to add them.

Sean B. Halliday
www.cruiseshipstories.com