Sunday, July 19, 2009

Don't Make Me Count to Three!

It has been a frustrating day. Actually it has been a frustrating several weeks. I feel like my four-year-old is out of control and she is just pushing me to the very limit! And since Emma Jane copies everything Libby does, the two-year-old is right behind her!
Their poor behavior is really my fault because I really haven't been consistent in my parenting for several months. I have let her get away with being disobedient because I didn't have the energy or time or patience to deal with it properly. And the result is blatant disrespect and disobedience.
So after a stressful lunch out with friends after church (I seriously almost lost it in Panera!) Brad and I had a powwow to discuss where to go from here. Bottom line, we are retraining everything: bedtime rules, car rules, table manners, and the biggie, first-time obedience.
Please pray for me! I don't expect this to be fun.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Don't grow weary. Good parenting is rarely easy. BUT it is worth it. You will be surprised how quickly they remember what it means to obey. Oh, and be encouraged that we all go through times like this. Especially after a big transition like babies or moving. :)
I'm praying! Love ya!

Krystyn said...

Good luck! It's hard, isn't it.

You can do it.

Bren said...

Good luck. I only have one who thinks it's funny to disobey and am at my wits end some days. They will remember quickly and probably be happier for it!

Ashley said...

Ugh. I'm realizing that parenting only gets harder as they get older. Good luck!

Danielle said...

Right there with you, I feel like we are always retraining someone. But you will get through this. Praying for you too.

Kelli said...

Lauren I'm right there with you. It's exhausting to enforce the rules but so worth it. I'm getting ready to read Shepherding a Child's Heart and I hope that helps to keep me focused. We've gotten a little laxed during the summer.

Emily said...

Good luck! Call me when you need to vent (I know you will anyways! =)!)
Alex and I had to do that with Jack a while ago...it was tough having to be to strict, but really paid off. Jack is usually great nowadays....Melody, well that's another story. I see military school in her future.

shortmama said...

Ugh so frustrating! My 7yo is having teenage girl attitude and it is so hard. Sometimes I have to just tell her to go sit in her room on her bed for a while to allow myself "chill" time before reacting to her attitude!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Lauren, Please know you're not alone in this! We're going through a little bit of this ourselves and it's such a great idea to get back to the basics. But remember to cut yourself some slack...you've been a bit busy with the little guy. I hope it hasn't been too much of a struggle with trying to "re-train". Breathe deep, friend!!