Monday, July 27, 2009

The beginning of the end...

I have always known that this day was coming...

I was just sort of hoping that it wouldn't.




Today is the first day of the last year of my twenties.



*pause for moment of silence*


Yep. It's my birthday and I am twenty-four twenty-nine years old.




I have always loved my birthday. I mean, it's a whole day in which people celebrate my very existence and give me presents.
What could be better?


*head shake*

I'm sorry...what were we talking about?


Oh yes, my birthday. When I was a child, my summer birthday sort of bummed me out. For one thing I never got to celebrate at school. Also, since my dad was in the military, we moved a lot and usually during the summer. I didn't really have a whole lot of birthday parties as a child and the ones I did have were usually at my grandmother's house with my cousins. But my parents did try to make those parties special.

When I turned five, I had a purple surprise party. Purple was (and still is) my favorite color and my family threw me a purple themed party. Cake, party hats, decorations...everything was purple! I loved it! This turned out to be the only birthday picture I could find of myself.

After many years of not really having birthday parties, I decided to take matters into my own hands and throw myself a party. So when I turned sixteen, I requested permission (at the last minute)to have a few friends over to celebrate. My dad gave me $20 to buy chips and cokes. Later that night, he and my mom went out to grab dinner with the understanding that they were coming straight home afterwards. When they pulled on to our street, my father's first thought was that someone else in the neighborhood was having a party too because both sides of the street were lined with cars. Then they walked in the front door and found about 60 kids in our house!

Since we weren't being too rowdy, my parents just told me to clean up when it was over and went up to bed. But in the morning my dad told me that the next time I wanted to have "a few friends" over, I was going to have to specify just how many "a few" was!

The next exciting, milestone birthday I celebrated was my 21st. That one was fun for the obvious reasons. And since my mom reads my blog, I won't share any stories about that!

After 21, I guess I blinked and there went my twenties!

I don't now how I got here so fast. This is my last birthday as a twenty-something! But even though I am slightly depressed about the number, this is still a birthday and I love birthdays! I especially love the presents! And since it would be lame to give myself a present, I am going to give one of you a present!

That's right, one lucky reader is going to win a $30 gift card to my favorite store:


For you first entry? Wish me a happy twenty fourth 29th birthday!

Extra Entries: leave an additional comment for each extra entry
--follow my blog
--follow me on Twitter
--tweet this giveaway and leave the link to your tweet

This contest is open for today only! The winner will be picked using random.org at 11:59pm EST.

58 comments:

shortmama said...

Lucky girl still in your 20s!! Enjoy it! Happy 24th, er 29th birthday!

shortmama said...

I follow!

Chandler said...

Happy first '29th' birthday! Here's to being 29 forever...right? Blessings to you!

Vanessa said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!! Remember the thirties will be the new twenties!!

Bren said...

Happy Birthday! Don't worry - 30 and beyond is really nothing to stress about - life gets better and better every year!

Bren said...

Oh - you KNOW I follow you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I remember several of your parties at Grandmothers. I think we should throw you a party next week in Auburn. Can you wait until Wednesday??? I will bring a present. Purple???? Love you

Vanessa said...

You know I follow!!

Vanessa said...

Do I need to remind you that I follow you on twitter too or is that a given?? LOL

Emily said...

Ok, I had to read this about 5 times because I kept getting distracted at the Edward picture.
Happy 29th, er 24th birthday!!! I can totally sympathize to your birthday woes...mine was always over spring break and since it was 2 days before my brothers we always had to share!

Vanessa said...

http://twitter.com/vKnouseM/status/2869283757

Morgan said...

Happy 29th Birthday! Hey at least you aren't 30 yet!

We can cry about being 30 together next year...for now just pretend that you'll be 29 forever :)

Morgan said...

I follow your blog

Morgan said...

I follow you on twitter

Morgan said...

tweet tweet

http://twitter.com/MorganLBeck/status/2869608795

Granna said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Lauren! I remember better than anyone, this day 24, er 29 years ago. It started about 2am, followed by an hour ride to 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt at 5am and your arrival at 7:30am. That may have been my easiest day as your mother.:-) Can''t wait to see you Friday.

Kelli said...

How sweet of you to give something away on YOUR birthday. I hope you have a great, wonderful, fabulous day. 30s aren't so bad...promise.

Emily said...

I follow your blog and your mom's comment was really funny!

Emily said...

I follow you on twitter...

Pam said...

Happy Birthday!!

You know I follow your blog...

Pam said...

And I follow you on Twitter...

Pam said...

And I tweeted for the whole world, I mean all my tweeps, to see!!

Have a great day. Totally agree with Em about your Mother's comment. Too funny. And she's coming for a visit Friday. How fun! Birthday? Sounds like a Birthday WEEK!!

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Lauren! It really isn't that bad being a thirty-something, but enjoy the ride as a twenty- something you deserve a great day!

Emily said...

tweeted

Ehrenfelds said...

Hey girlie...HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

You're now one of my 29 forever friends!!!

Ehrenfelds said...

I follow your blog. But we have to say no to Twitter. That would put me over the edge!

Krystyn said...

Dude, I was totally going to wish you a happy birthday, without the bribe.

But, since you are offering it, I'll wish you a happy birthday twenty-nine times!

Krystyn said...

I follow your blog.

Krystyn said...

I follow you on twitter.

Summer said...

A VERY happy birthday to you!!! 29 is nothing! I just turned 30...and I feel GREAT! It's a little weird not being in my 20's anymore...but, I'm dealing (with the help of spa treatments and wine!!!) hehe...

Hope all your birthday wishes come true!!!

-Summer

Summer said...

Oh...I follow your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!! You'll find that 29 is better than 24. I always say it is better to be older and wiser! Great days ahead!

The Bordens said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!
kristivill@ol.com

The Bordens said...

I follow your blog
kristivill@aol.com

Kim said...

Happy Birthday, Lauren. I hope you get all the presents you desire. Hehe. :)

Kim said...

I follow your blog and I need clothes. Sniff sniff.

Mom in High Heels said...

Well, happy birthday to my newest blog BFF. Your picture of RPattz made my brain get all fuzzy. I'd like him wrapped for my next birthday. BTW, I'm in the last year of my mid-30's. Next year I will officially be in my "late" 30's. I have to say, so far the 30's have been awesome. Don't mourn the impending closure of your 20's. It only gets better.

marineof2 said...

Hope you have a very happy (twenty fourth) 29th birthday!

marineof2 said...

$30 Loft gift card Today only! Happy Birthday @laurensnellings http://bit.ly/sr0g7 twitter.com/jb1881

Bethany said...

Happy Birthday!! The 20s do seem to go by fast...yikes!

Bethany said...

I follow through Google Reader, too!

Bethany said...

And I'm a twitter follower! :)

Kelli @ RTSM said...

Happy Birthday! I turned 29 this year too....and I am SO not looking forward to my birthday next year!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sis!

Anonymous said...

A phone call should count for three.

Anonymous said...

I birthed my son on your special day. What better present than that?

John Deere Mom said...

Happy Birthday, I guess. You are 3 YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME! Hmpf.

John Deere Mom said...

I was already a subscriber...now I am a follower as well!

John Deere Mom said...

I am following your tweets!

John Deere Mom said...

Tweet tweet!

http://twitter.com/johndeeremom1

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sis. Enjoy your date.

teachergirl said...

Happy Birthday, Lauren! When you're my age, it's just a number!

teachergirl said...

Tweet, tweet. I'm following you on twitter. Thanks, JohnDeereMom!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a Happy Birthday! Sweet dreams sis.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Happy 29th Birthday you young-un you! Enjoy this next year before the big 3-0 happens. ;)

P.S. I love purple, too!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Oops. Just realized I missed the cut off. Does it count that it's 10:02 pacific standard time...probably not. Bummer. ;)

Tonya said...

Happy belated birthday! It was the 27th right? If so you share a birthday with my dear hubby!

Anonymous said...

Happy bday, Lauren! 29 is the new 12...you're a baby! haha! You look great and have a beautiful family! If you've done this well in 29, you have many amazing things ahead of you in the next chapter! Best wishes for a healthy and a happy one! mudonthetires8@yahoo.com
pinknpaisley29 on twitter :)