Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Writer's Workshop- Mommy makes the Rules



I hate when people try to tell me how to raise my kids and I usually try not to give advice to my friends about their kids unless they ask. Well, MamaKat has asked for parenting advice so here is my two cents.

Preschoolers don't need choices. They need a sense of security and that comes from knowing that Mommy and Daddy are in charge.

You know that scene from the playground where the kid is screaming at his mother about whether or not he is leaving and that poor mother is trying to reason with her child. And when reason inevitably fails, she caves to the desires of the preschooler. We have all witnessed it. I guarantee that brat child gets to choose between the red cup and the blue cup every morning. And through out the day that child gets to make other seemingly unimportant choices. But in the end it all adds up to a child that doesn't respect authority. Parents need to take back control of our kids. Because we are doing them (and society) a disservice when we treat three-year-olds like adults.

So that's my advice: choices are for adults, not children!

Bribes on the other hand are perfectly acceptable!

Now it's your turn. Head over to MamaKat's place and share your parenting skills.

11 comments:

June Freaking Cleaver said...

Lauren,
Bribes, threats and guilt- mother's bag of tricks. I agree, it's not good to coddle our children, it gives them a sense of entitlement when they still don't have the self-control to make good choices.

Emily said...

totally agree with you. Parents exist for a reason!

April said...

AMEN mama!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Structure is the name of the game!!

Hallie :)

Ehrenfelds said...

Well said!!!

kisatrtle said...

good advice for sure

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great advice.

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight....Love it when I have time to do blog hopping...

I always enjoy finding new blogs!
This month I am posting on our Disney trip.

Life with Kaishon said...

Interesting perspective. Kaishon can have whatever color cup he wants in the morning since I don't pour his juice.

Kelli said...

I needed this today because I am that mom that when I say now I mean now, not when you are ready and sometimes I feel bad. So thanks! I agree with you 110%

Jen said...

I have to agree with you some what. I think that sometimes giving your kids a choice over the little things will make them more expectable to listening and doing what mommy says with the big things. For example, they must take a nap but you can choose what you are going to sleep with.

Jessica said...

This reminds me a little bit of a post I read earlier today! And, I completely agree with you! 100%!