Sunday, June 21, 2009

Missing my dad

This is my fourth Father's Day without my dad. I still miss him everyday. This morning at church, Brad leaned over to me and asked if I was okay. I said, "yes, I'm fine." He said, "oh, because last year you got really choked up." I didn't really remember that, so I assured him that I was holding it together.

And then our pastor started talking...and I suddenly remembered when and why I got choked up. We have a great pastor and he happens to also have a father that has passed away. And every year on Father's Day, Pastor Ken makes a point of remembering all of us who have lost our fathers. And it just makes me boohoo every year.

I am not sad right now, just remembering how great my dad was. He influenced my life so much. From him I got my love of useless trivia and classic rock. He taught me to appreciate good food and good wine. He taught me how to drive and I gave him a few gray hairs. He showed me that you are never too old to learn something new. He encouraged me to pursue my talents and interests. He taught me the value of integrity and hard work. He used to take me on dates and taught me by example how I should expect to be treated. He always told me that I am beautiful and that he was proud of me. He was generous and kind and I am so thankful that he is my dad!


My dad with his brother in March 2006.

5 comments:

Pam said...

I know that you're missing his presence but this post shows that his memories are constantly surrounding you in your everyday life. Hope you made it through church OK. :-)

Emily said...

What a sweet post. I only knew your dad briefly, but I could tell he had many of the same qualities that I love about my dad. Having a wonderful problem is truly priceless.

Kelli said...

Sounds like he was a great man who left an amazing impact. How blessed you are!

Krystyn said...

What a special man to hold close to your heart. Glad you were able to have so many memories.

Momisodes said...

Clearly, he was special. He has a wonderful daughter and left an amazing legacy within you.