Monday, June 29, 2009

FMM - Are you smarter more patriotic than a fifth grader?



This week's Friend Makin Monday is being hosted by Shawn from Seriously and she has some Fourth of July questions (including a pop quiz!) for us to answer. I hope we are not being graded! Luckily this first few questions are easy!



What are you doing this July 4th?

This fourth is going to be pretty low key for us. Usually we go to the big picnic our church hosts and watch fire works, but with a new baby in the house we are probably going to just cook out here at the house and light a few sparklers. (And of course later in the evening I will lie awake in bed listening to the teenagers next door setting off firecrackers into the wee hours of the morning because, you know, that's what they do!)


What is your favorite dish to pass when attending a 4th of July party or summer barbecue?

I LOVE homemade ice cream for the fourth. Well, really, anytime is good for me!


Do you have any July 4th traditions?

The usual fireworks and cookouts.


Share your favorite July 4th picture.

Libby with her sparkler July 4, 2008

Emma Jane won't touch her sparkler! July 4, 2008


Finally I will leave you with a little Are You Smarter Than A Fourth Grader? trivia.

1. How many stars are on the American Flag? 50
2. What do they stand for? the 50 states
3. How many stripes are on the flag? 13
4. What do they stand for? the 13 original colonies
5. How many stripes are red? 7
6. The first stripe is which color? red
7. Who sewed the American flag?
supposedly Betsy Ross, but I think that is actually an old time "urban legend" (but then again, maybe I am not smarter than a fifth grader!)



Share your plans for the fourth and make some new friends while you are at it! Head over to Shawn's and join the Friend Makin Monday fun!

10 comments:

Snichols said...

Oh I love homemade ice cream, it's the BEST!

Lins said...

Oh yum! Homemade ice cream is amazing!!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

I seriously just got out the ice cream maker today . . . yay for homemade ice cream!!! :)

Becca @ The Texas Darlings said...

yes- homemade ice cream is the BEST!!

Congratulations on your newest addition- I have a 5 week old son as well. Aren't baby boys the greatest???

Happy 4th!

~Becca

Emily said...

EJ looks so teeny! And now I want some ice cream....wait a minute, when I do not want ice cream!?

Stacey said...

I forgot about homemade ice cream! My grandpa use to make it all the time. I love it!

Vivienne said...

Lauren!!!! Those pix are too cute! I love that each of them has a totally different look on her face. Libby looks so interested, but if I've never seen a child "confronted" with a sparkler, Emma Jane has fixed that for me. OMGosh!

Julie said...

I enjoyed discovering your blog today :) Happy 4th of July!

imbeingheldhostage said...

what a fun post-- love patriotic theme for the Makin Monday!
Last night our FHE was about the Flag (and the myths) then we ate USO red, white and blue sweethearts :-)

Pretty much sums up most of our plans in the UK...

Happy 4th to you and your family!

Amber said...

Okay, first of all. You crossed out a word in your title! I've wanted to do that, but thought, "Nah, it wouldn't work in the header". Huh. Go figure. Thanks for the clue.

Second, those pictures are adorable!! So precious. And now you'll make some new pictures with your baby boy this year!

Third, did you notice how LATE I am at commenting on this post?? Potty training sure takes it outta ya. lol