Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Luke Beck Photography

So last week I got so many comments about the maternity picture I posted, I thought I would share a few more with you and give some credit where it is due! Because, you know, as much as I love being told how beautiful I am, most of the credit for that incredible photo belongs to my incredible photographer, Luke Beck.

Over the years, since Libby was born, I have used lots of different photographers to try and capture every milestone and precious moment. I have had pictures taken at Walmart, those one-hour mall "studios", department stores, and by professional (over-priced, over-egoed) photographers. I have discovered that a good photographer is worth his (or her) weight in gold!

With a cooperative subject and the right lighting, it really isn't hard to take a nice picture. Which is how Walmart and the Picture People stay in business. But at the end of the day, all you really have is a nice picture. (Don't get me wrong! I treasure many of those nice pictures!) But Luke went beyond just trying to take a nice picture to capturing a moment and an emotion on film. (Plus, he made this gigantic preggo woman totally feel like a model! Move over, Nigel Barker! Seriously if I was ten years younger and ten inches taller, I would so be trying out for ANTM!)

Luke also made the experience enjoyable by really listening to what I wanted out of the pictures and experimenting until we got it, rather than following a formula of safe poses. Which resulted in two of my favorite photos from the day:



He was also patient with my children when they wanted to join in the fun. Or when trying to escape, as the case may be:
But the best part is that Luke just loves taking pictures and because of that, I think he takes awesome pictures! At the end of our session, he said "I wish we had a little more time." (Of course Brad was standing off to the side saying "dude, we have tee time. Let's go!) Yeah, Luke is a family friend so I am more than a little biased, but I think his photos speak for themselves!

You can check out more of Luke's work at his website. And if you happen to be in the Central Florida area and need a photographer, look no further!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Those are all such great pictures. He really does a great job.

Krystyn said...

What a great job!

I love the one of you and EJ!

Bren said...

Beautiful pictures! You look all glowy and happy!

Emily said...

Totally love the pictures. It almost makes me wish I had taken more belly shots with my pregnancies. *almost*.

Upstatemomof3 said...

So well said. I feel the same way about the woman who takes our photos. Here's one she took of me and my kids last October - http://www.ourlifeupstate.com/2009/03/captured.html

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Gorgeous! These will be some great memories to have of this new baby.

Tonya said...

they are all so beautiful! it almost makes me want to be pregnant again...almost :)