Thursday, March 5, 2009

Writers Workshop - The Great Outdoors

It's time to write again, thanks to MamaKat!

This week I have chosen an easy prompt: Describe a memorable camping experience.

Now, if my husband actually read my blog like he is supposed to, he would pipe up and say, "What camping experience? You don't like the outdoors!"

Very true, Brad! I enjoy looking at nature. Through the window. But getting in touch with it. Not so much. I am really just not a dirt, bugs, using the bathroom outside, roughing it kind of girl!

But I have a story that I think explains why.

Here is my one, albeit vague memory of camping: I think I was four. Five, tops. My mother was still nursing my baby bro at the time and she opted not to go on this little expedition into the woods. (I think that was a mistake, Mom.) So my dad took my sister and me on this trip, with several other families from the neighborhood, by himself.

The car was loaded and we were ready to go, so after hugs and kisses all around, the campers took off! My mom says that as she turned to go back in the house, she saw it. On the floor in the entrance hall. The little overnight bag containing my two changes of clothes, pajamas, hairbrush and toothbrush! (And there were no such things as cell phones!) My dad discovered the error when we arrived at the campsite. I, being four years old, was not that concerned. Until about 2 hours later when I fell into the large stream river, shoes and all! I spent that evening, wrapped in a blanket while my clothes dried by the fire. One of the other mothers loaned me a sweatshirt to wear so that I wouldn't freeze. I wore the same clothes for the entire weekend with unbrushed hair and bad breath! Is it any wonder I don't like "roughing it?"

Just for fun, I am throwing in a limerick too!

There once was a mama named Lauren

who lamented her life as quite boring.

But then the children rush in

And the chaos begins!

And she thinks, "Only boring when I am snoring!"

12 comments:

Mama Kat said...

Awwwww...poor baby! Couldn't you have used your sister's clothes!?! I think you need to give it another try with your kiddos. What are theh chances of that happening twice?? ;)

ps Happy birthday to Emma Jane soon! I love your little tickers over there in your sidebar!!

Emily said...

Too funny! I'm with you...unless I'm on the beach with a drink in hand, nature is best seen through a window! The limerick was too funny...did you actually come up with that yourself!?

Miranda said...

It's much funner when it's all organized better. :) I'd probably hate camping after a childhood experience like that too.

My idea of camping is like campsites with bathrooms and walking trails and near some sort of lake. My husband's idea is that some day he's going to take us all out a mile into the woods and totally rough it! I'm like "yeah right! I'm SO not peeing in the bushes with the snakes, bugs, and bears!" That is HIS view on camping. Apparently it's not camping unless everyone is miserable. LOL

Michelle said...

How funny that you remember that week of camping. I would think most kids would be happy not to have to brush for a week!

Love the limerick!

Krystyn said...

Camping...I could go either way. If I didn't have to do any prep work, I would be all for it!!

Loved the limerick!

April said...

Loved the limerick.

And I love camping but no toothbrush has to suck.

blueviolet said...

I just can't do the camping thing. At all. The limerick was great!

Kristen said...

I've noticed that with camping no matter much you bring you always look unkept and smell unshowered.

Jen said...

that is a great limerick!
see that is why camping should just not be done.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Great post! So sad that this happened to your 4-year old self. Things like this stick with you!!

I'm not much of a camper either, but I pretend!

Blogging Mama Andrea said...

I definitely think that would have turned me off as well!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I love it! What a great story (and limerick) :-)