Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tylenol vs Motrin

Libby is suffering from a really bad ear infection. Anyone that knows us IRL, is aware of the unpleasant history my baby has had with her ears. After 12 infections in just 2 years, we decided to get tubes put in her ears. There was a part of me that rebelled at the idea of subjecting my 2 1/2 year old to anesthesia and surgery, but in the end it was completely worth it! The infections stopped, her hearing and speech improved, she started sleeping and eating better and was in general a happier child! She went ten months without any infections and then 2 weeks ago it happened again. And the antibiotic didn't work! So we are on our second antibiotic (which annoys me) plus ear drops. This is the worst infection I have seen. Not only is her ear draining tons of nasty goo, it is also swollen and red and very painful! She flinches if anything touches the right side of her head. So in addition to all of the prescription meds, she needs pain relief too. This is where I am at a loss. Now, I have found that adult Tylenol is useless as a pain reliever. I can't imagine that children's tylenol is any better! I usually just use tylenol as a fever reducer, because it is really good at that! Motrin has always been my go-to for pain relief and it has always worked great in the past! But I have discovered something this week in dealing with Libby's chronic ear pain. Motrin doesn't last for 6-8 hours like it claims! It lasts for 4! So what do I do? I don't want to OD her on Motrin, but I also don't want her to be in pain for two hours between doses, especially at night!

Any thoughts?

12 comments:

Krystyn said...

You won't OD her if you give it to her a little early. She probably just metabolizes it a little faster.

We usually give it every 5 hours. You would have to give her a TON to OD on it. I would just recommend giving her a snack with it...sometimes it can upset the tummy.

I sure hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Krystyn said...

Oh, and we don't use tylenol once they are past 6 months...it doesn't really do anything for me, either.

mommy memories said...

LPS, I'm so sorry for Libby and for you. I feel your pain. R got his 2nd set of tubes in January and is doing great again. Are Libby's tubes still in? Has she seen the ENT? I know I have overlapped tylenol and motrin for R to reduce a fever and it worked great. I'd ask your pediatrician about overlapping the 2 instead of upping the time on motrin, but that is just me. When in doubt I place a call to nurse line. I agree with tylenol not doing squat but it sees to help in conjunction with the motrin. Hope she gets some relief soon.

Danielle said...

We have always piggybacked the motrin and tylenol so that there is constant pain relief. While the tylenol does not seem to work as well when it is used alone together with the motrin it has worked well. For example f you gave motrin at 6 and then tylenol at 7 she would need motrin again at 12 and tylenol at 11. Anyway check with your Dr. You may even need to increase the amount that she is taking. According to the bottle of motrin our little boys should take 1 tsp. But according to our Dr. because of there weight they need 1 1/2 tsp, which made a big differnece. Hope this helps

Morgan said...

Poor Libby! I hope she starts to feel better soon.

My pedi recommended alternating tylenol and motrin every 4 hours. That way the she's getting pain relief every 4 hours but you're not giving the motrin too soon. It really helped Ella when she had an ear infection. Oh and as Danielle suggested, definitely make sure the dosage is correct for Libby's current weight.

Cherry Family said...

We also alternate the Tylenol and Motrin. If it is that bad though I would ask my pediatrician to prescribe some pain meds.

I am so sorry for Libby! That is horrible to have to deal with not matter what age you are. : (

Megan R. said...

I was also going to suggest alternating the Tylenol and Motrin, so there is something constantly on board. Do you have her most current weight, so that you know she is on the correct dose?

Emily said...

I agree with what most people are saying. Giving her tylenol alone won't help, but does seem to work better when used as a motrin follow-up. Just be sure not to use more than directed, because even a mild tylenol OD can cause serious liver damage. Poor Libs.

heidi said...

I totally didn't read the other comments so ignore me if I'm repeating. Cara had 13 ear infections by the time she was 2. If she had ONE more we would've tubed her. They're try to give us amxicillian and I'd tell them no thanks..let's just skip to the good stuff, please.

Pain? Alternate the motrin with the tylenol every 4 hours. She won't OD and it will help keep the pain at bay better than just one or the other.

Gosh, your poor little bear! Ear pain is one of the WORST!

Tonya said...

I would call your doc but I think you could do the alternate between the two of them and it should help with the pain. Or you could call a pharmacy and ask them, if you doc is hard to get a hold of. It totally stinks when your kids are in pain. Praying for a quick turn around.

Kim said...

As you know, I am no stranger to this problem. Nathan has been almost two months without an infection- the longest we have gone since he was 6 months old. I'm not thrilled to hear that it could still come back!

My suggestion would be to use both Tylenol and Motrin. I have done that. But, I would agree with calling the Doc for a higher level pain relief. Describe the situation tell him that is isn't lasting long enough. Don't talk to a nurse or accept no for an answer. :) If you don't get a prescription, he might tell you to give Motrin more often or with a higher dose. We have done both with Dr. recommendations.
We will pray that she feels better. I'm sure it is worse as they get older. At least Nathan doesn't realize that he is in pain!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

And, I'm complaining about my son's ONE ear infection!? So sorry that your sweet girl has to go through this pain. We've been using Motrin lately instead of Tylenol. I think the doctor said that I could give him Motrin every 4-5 hours and that would be OK. Hope everyone gets back to being healthy!!