Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Saying sorry to God

We seem to be having a lot of teachable moments with Libby lately. Yesterday was a tough day for her in the areas of listening and obeying. I felt like I was talking to myself most of the day and by the time Brad got home I was so sick of saying, "Libby, listen to Mommy!" or "Libby, stop jumping on the furniture!" (What is up with that, btw? It's like all of a sudden, instead of a couch, she sees a trampoline!)

She got sent to timeout AGAIN right before dinner and Brad went in to talk to her. Now, I am going to stop here to give you some background. Brad and I have been teaching Libby bible verses and one of the first verses she memorized was Ephesians 6:1. "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right." What parent doesn't love that verse?! Libby knows it backwards and forwards and she knows that the Bible is God's Word and that God's words are true. But last night, Brad took it a step further.

He got down on her level and they went over the verse together and then he said to her, "Libby you know that God said to obey mommy and daddy. When you don't obey, you are going against God's plan. You are not just disobeying mommy, you are disobeying God too." Her eyes got so wide! He went on to say, "It is important to obey Mommy and Daddy because it pleases God. It is not just about getting in trouble or not." Well, Libby was very upset at this point and said that she wanted to say sorry to Mommy and Brad told her that first she needed to say sorry to God and ask for His forgiveness first. So then they prayed together and Libby came out to say sorry to me.

Brad told me all of this last night after the girls were in bed. I really think it made an impact on Libby and hopefully she is starting to gain some understanding of the relationship between God and people. She has had a better day today, not that she hasn't tuned me out a few times, but she is still only three!

6 comments:

♥ spoiled mommy ♥ said...

Must be the 3's!! Im having issues over this way as well with my princess-she is NOT being such a lil princess. I posted about it today as well...the words that came out of her mouth yesterday crushed my heart. We had a very long talk and I think she understands...now if I can work on the big kids watching what they say around the baby.

Krystyn said...

What a great idea! I just might have to steal this!

Pam said...

Wow! You can't see it but I'm giving Brad a much deserved standing ovation for that bit of parenting. Way to go Brad!

I would say that that reitteration of the Ephesians verse yesterday has made a visible impact on Libby's behavior today. Gotta love that!

Tell Brad congrats on a job well done.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

I love that you are incorporating Scripture already in your young children's lives. It reminds me that we need to start doing that in our home. Mikayla is definitely at the age of soaking it all in, so we could definitely be teaching her some memory verses. Thanks for opening up your learning experiences to us.

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

Wow -- your 3-year-old is memorizing Bible verses!

Ashlee said...

this made me cry a little. I dont know why, but it pulled at the heart strings :) thanks.