Sunday, March 15, 2009

Profound wisdom from a three-year-old

They say that confession is good for the soul but bad for the reputation. Well, I have to make a confession. I am not at all proud of what I am about to share, but I learned something from it and maybe you will too.



Brad and I got into a HUGE fight after church today. He was mean, I was belligerent. We both lost our tempers. And it resulted in me going into my bedroom, slamming the door, throwing a book at the wall, and crying in a heap on the floor. (Did mention my temper?) But the worst part is that our children witnessed it. EJ didn't really seem to noticed anything was amiss, but Libby...ouch! She also started crying and being the peacemaker that she is, came into see me to give me her bunny so that I would feel better. Then she ran from my room.



Brad got the girls settled and then came to apologize to me. While we were talking things out he told me that Libby said, "Daddy you need to be nice to Mommy." And then she said, "Sometimes adults are just ugly to each other!" Wow! She didn't hear that from me. These observations came straight from my daughter's own mind. I could tell that Brad was really affected by her words. Me, too!



Later, Libby and I were having a snack together and she said, "Mommy, why were you so sad this morning?" I told her that Daddy and I had been upset with each other and that I am so sorry that she saw me so upset. And then I made sure she knew that Daddy and I had forgiven each other and that no one was upset anymore. Then she hit me with this, "Mommy, you just need to pray more when you are sad." Tell me about it, Libby! I love this little girl's heart! And my prayer for her is that God would just continue to press himself upon her heart and that my own failures would not be a stumbling block to her!



My prayer life has been practically nonexistent. I know that I have been using being a mommy as an excuse for my faltering spiritual growth but it is time for me to get over it. I mean, if ever I needed a strong relationship with God, it is now!! Of course my job is overwhelming! I have been trying to do it by myself! I talked to Brad about this and he did something I wasn't expecting...he took responsibility for my lack of spiritual growth! He said that as leader of our household it is his responsibility to pour into me and our kids spiritually and he hasn't been doing that and then he apologized AGAIN! And then he gave me homework! :)



I am actually excited about it though. He gave me a booklet that he has been through about unlocking your prayer life and we are committing to pray together every week. He is also going to help me memorize more scripture. He has been memorizing scripture consistently for over a year and I can see the difference it has made in him. I think I may have fallen in love with him all over again today!

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Lauren that is wonderful. Sometimes it is hard to be transparent but I think we all have been through times like that and sometimes the wisest person in the house is under the age of five. Praying for you because Mommies need all the prayer we can get:)

heidi said...

Oy. Love whem my kids are smarter than me. *sigh*

I'm glad you two are commiting to pray together. I wish I could get Rob to pray with me!

Pam said...

Wow! That sounded like a doozy-whopper of a fight.

Hate that the girls heard it all. But had they not, you would not have made such a breakthrough in your relationship.

Leave it to a 3 year old to get through to 2 ADULTS. Amazing.

Megan R. said...

Oh, bless her little heart! That is totally heart warming!! Oh, and thanks for the award, I'll get it posted this week!

Ehrenfelds said...

This was exactly what I need to read. THANKS LIBBY!

I think Libby just said exactly what God has been trying to tell me for a while now. And I am totally with you, letting my prayer time suffer and then wondering why this is sooo difficult.

Please give her a big hug for me.

Brad, awesome job! That is also an encouragement to us up here. We are still having a hard time adjusting.

Krystyn said...

Oh, that Libby is such a smarty! And she is so right!

WTG to Brad for stepping up and taking responsibility, too!

Tonya said...

Wow what a great post. I look at my kids as the best reason to grow in my spiritual walk. And don't forget that you are Brad's helpmate too!

Holly at Tropic of Mom said...

"I know that I have been using being a mommy as an excuse for my faltering spiritual growth but it is time for me to get over it." Me too!

What a sweet girl you have.

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

I, too, am guilty of using the "busy mom" excuse for my lack of spiritual growth. Thanks for sharing this...even if it may have been uncomfortable for you to do so!

Margaret said...

God uses children in such great ways.


Thanks for the tips for my daughter. I thought about using cloth diapers with her from the start, but I just am unsure about them (like leaks). When we have another one, we might use them. If we do I will be by to ask questions. I know they are much better for the environment, and we are trying to make changes towards being more green. Plus they would save a lot of money.

The Reeds said...

Thanks for sharing Lauren. I'm guilty of being "too busy" to have my quiet time too. Children are blessings in so many ways:)