Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Prayers for Baby Stellan

I know many of us out there run in the same "blogging circle" and that you are already praying for baby Stellan. But for those of you not familiar with MckMama and her Many Small Children, I am sending out a prayer request. The short version of the story is that MckMama's youngest son, 5-month old Stellan, is currently in the PICU with an enlarged heart and accelerated heart rate. His heart is currently beating in the 220s (per minute.) This is actually a problem that Stellan had while still in the womb, but this is the first time since his birth that it has flared up again. Please visit MckMama's blog at www.mycharmingkids.net for the full story (I can't do it justice) and updates. And most of all pray!!

In her most recent update MckMama spent alot of her post just talking about the power of prayer and God's sovereignty. She made the comment that prayer can do amazing things for the one praying, (as well as the one being prayed for.) I am finding that to be so true! I have been praying since yesterday for this baby and family that I have never met and yet through my prayers for them and reading their testimony of what God is doing in their hearts through this trial, my faith is being strengthened .

Here is just an excerpt of her latest post that really hit home with me:

I believe that Stellan's course has not altered. He had terrible heart problems in the womb, was born with no sign of a problem at all, and now finds himself in the PICU for the exact same heart problem again. The problem from which we were so sure he'd been fully healed. This new situation with our baby is not new for God. He knew this and had this path set in motion for Stellan. Nothing is altered in His book, although to us it can seem like things with Stellan are off course. But God is not taken by surprise that Stellan's heart is sick. God didn't try to heal Stellan completely when he was born, and then now say "Whoops, I guess My healing didn't totally take. Let's see if I can try this again..."But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't keep praying. That also doesn't mean that we might not want to rethink what a miracle really is. It's worth rethinking our concept of miracles performed by God. It's worth considering the idea that even my friend Angie's baby daughter Audrey and her death were miracles.

Those words really hit home with me because I have been there. Not with my child, but with someone else that I love. My father died three years ago. I don't understand why it had to be that way and I am not okay that he died, but I have peace about it. I can stand firm on my relationship with God and on His promises. He has promised that he has a plan, a good plan, for my life (Jeremiah 29:11) and that He works ALL circumstances for good for those that love him (Romans 8:28.) Even when we can't see the good! My father's cancer was not a surprise to God. His positive response to chemo wasn't either. And his turn for the worst just when it seemed like we had gotten the miracle we prayed for wasn't failure on God's part. The truth is, my family did get a miracle. Just not the one we wanted. We got almost a year and a half of extra time with my dad. My dad had the opportunity through his illness to share his faith with so many others, and those of us left behind still have that testimony to pass on.


So, I am going to continue praying for Stellan and the MckFamily and I hope you will join me in prayer! And regardless of the outcome, I am going to join them in praising God for his sovereignty!

4 comments:

Krystyn said...

I've been praying for him, too!

Kristin Coppock said...

Lauren,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am not as savvy as you. Your blog is awesome, but i only do this very sporadically. I need to find a way to post more pictures and get some new, cuter free backgrounds and title spots...
Love your little girls, and I can't wait to find out what this one is.
Kristin

Talitha said...

Lauren, Your blog is such a testimony to the things God alone is doing in your life, and Brad's and the girl's. I'm proud of you!
Love, Mom

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Thanks for sharing this, Laruen. Not only to encourage us to pray for baby Stellan, but for you to be able to share your heart, too. That's one of the reasons I love your blog. You're honest and open about the relationship that you desire with God. Thank you for sharing that gift with others!!