Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The good side of reality tv

I don't really watch a whole lot of reality tv. For one thing, use of the word "reality" is a huge stretch! And honestly, when I take the time to sit down and actually watch tv, I would much rather be swept up in a completely unrealistic tv world than watch real people make fools of themselves. I can go outside and do that! Give me Smallville any day!

But sometimes, during these years when my children are so funny and unpredictable, I do think it would be cool to have a camera crew following us around to catch all of those spontaneous moments! (Only the ones that perpetuate the illusion that my life and my family are perfect, of course!) Some things just don't come across quite the same when I write them down and I have found that preschoolers don't get the concept of an instant replay!

For instance, one of Libby's favorite things to do is play hide-and-seek with Daddy when he gets home from work. But of course, she hasn't truly grasped the concept of the game yet. It usually goes something like this.

L: Ok, Daddy you count and I will hide.
(Brad slowly counts to ten.)
B: Ready or not here I come!
L: (laughing loudly) I'm in the closet! Come get me!

Then,

L: Now I count and you go hide in the bathroom! (And Libby will show Brad his hiding place, go count, and then "find" him)

When it is Libby's turn to hide again, she will hide in exactly the same place as before!

But what makes this game really fun to watch, is Emma Jane trying to keep up! One night while Libby was "hiding" in the closet, Emma Jane joined in the fun. She stood right next to Brad covering her eyes, saying, "two, fi-e, two, fi-e, etc." (Apparently she only knows those 2 numbers.) I got so tickled I ran to get the camera, but of course when I got back, I had missed the moment! I tried to get Brad to make her do it again, but when he, "Emma Jane, let's count one more time!" she gave him a look that said, "Uh, Daddy, we already did that. It is time to go get Libby from the closet now." And then she took off down the hall.

Where is the camera crew when you need them?

Oh yeah, they are following around the woman who gave birth 18 times in a row! I don't need to be on tv that badly!

3 comments:

Krystyn said...

Come on, only 15 more to go and then you could do it!!!!

That's too cute! I can't wait to see how Izzy and Nat play off each other.

Emily said...

Hilarious. Up until about a month ago, that's how Jack played too! It was hilarious to watch! That's so funny about EJ. And yeah, definitely not worth having 18 kids just to be on TV! lol

Momisodes said...

LOL! That is so true about the woman with 18!

The hide and seek sounds so adorable! My daughter loves to jump out and scream "you found me!" when her father is near her hiding spot :)