Saturday, March 21, 2009

Flashback Friday Saturday - The day I met Libby

This week for Flashback Friday (yes, I know it is Saturday!), Danielle wants to hear about the birth or adoption of your first child.


My pregnancy with Libby was pretty normal up until about 31 weeks when my whole body started to swell like a balloon. I gained 9 lbs in one week, started spilling protein in my urine and my blood pressure went through the roof! Anyone recognize those symptoms?


Yup, I had preeclampsia! I went to the dr on a Monday, he said don't go to work tomorrow and come back on Wednesday. By Wednesday nothing had changed so I had to go to the hospital to spend 5 hours in triage being monitored and was then sent home for more bedrest. I was also given what looked like a gas can and instructed to pee into it for 48 hrs, while storing it in my refrigerator between bathroom breaks! Eeww! When I went back to the dr on Friday I had used up all of my strikes and was sentenced to restricted bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy. Which unfortunately lasted until 4 days before my due date! I spent 8 lonely, boring weeks on the couch watching mindless tv, reading until my eyes hurt, and begging my unborn child to come out! I had a standing 9:00am appt with my OB every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for those 8 weeks to have my bp monitored and to get a weekly nonstress test. I was only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom or to quickly grab a snack from the fridge. I was only supposed to shower every other day for 5 minutes. Other than that, I was to be on the couch with my feet up. It was so depressing! I eventually stopped taking phone calls because I was so sick of family members random people asking me when I was going to hurry up and have that baby. Seriously, it's not like I was holding her in! (Can you tell I am still a little bitter about bedrest?)


I kept begging my dr to induce me, but he wouldn't. Sweet Libby was too small to be born early and looking back I am so glad he refused! I probably would have ended up with a c-section and a baby in the NICU. But I am getting ahead of myself!


On the morning of June 16, 3:12 am to be exact, I felt my first contraction. When it was over, I of course had to pee so I went to the bathroom and discovered my mucus plug had come out. (For those of you who don't know what that is, it is even grosser than it sounds!) 20 minutes later another contraction came and from then on it was on! And it was brutal! My contractions came hard and fast right from the start and they never got regular. They fluctuated from 10 minutes to 7 minutes to 3 minutes and then back to 5 minutes apart and so on! After 9 hours of that torture, I told Brad we were going to the hospital regardless of whether or not they were regular!


I arrived at the hospital and was whisked to a room and hooked up to a bunch of monitors. Between contractions I overheard one of the nurses say, "She is only at 1 cm (WHAT!?) but her bp is so high we will have to induce her if she doesn't go into labor soon." Again, WHAT?! I have been in labor all day!


Wrong! Turns out it's not labor if you don't progress. And if not for my bp, they would have sent me home! AND, when you aren't progressing, they won't give you any of the good drugs!!


I think I cried when I got that news. My ob came in and broke my water hoping to move things along. This is the part of the story where Brad was traumatized. He made the mistake of watching the doc break my water. Afterwards, looking very pale and faint, Brad said, "Honey, the hook was this long (holding his arms out) and the doctor just kept putting it in further and further and then it all just started gushing out!" I was like, "dude why did you watch?" He said, "once it started I just couldn't turn away!" He is still traumatized 4 years later!


After 13 hours of natural labor, I finally made it to 4cm! Woohoo! It's epidural time!


Unfortunately, all labor stopped after I finally got my epi. 4 hours later I was still at 4cm so they started pitocin. Luckily, thanks to the epi I couldn't feel the boost in intensity. Finally, after 18 hours, I hit 10! And the nurse immediately made me start pushing. Looking back, that was a mistake. I may have been at 10cm but Lib was not engaged yet which made pushing extremely difficult. It took over an hour to push her through the birth canal. I was so exhausted, I was crying and Brad was stressing! My nurse was incredible though and she coached me through it! At 10:06, after 19 hours of labor, Libby arrived! And suddenly, every second of it was completely worth it! She was 5 lbs 14 oz, 19 3/4 inches long and absolutely beautiful!!


After all of the usually post delivery pokes and prods, they let me try to nurse her and then she was whisked away to the NICU for the rest of the night to be monitored and I was kept right where I was for monitoring as well.


The next morning, Libby was returned to me and we both went to perinatal (rather than the maternity ward) so that I could be monitored some more. I think they were a little worried about me. I had to stay on this nasty magnesium drip for 24 hours after delivery in order to help regulate my bp. One good thing about being on the perinatal ward rather than maternity is that those nurses don't get to play with babies very much, so we got lots of attention!! After 2 days I was able to take my precious baby home!



So what is your birth story? Tell us about it and then visit Danielle and sign Mr. Linky!

6 comments:

Krystyn said...

What a little peanut!

Minus the bedrest and pre-eclampsia, the birth of Izzy was quite the same.

Pam said...

Wow, that's some replay!

Thankfully mine was nothing like that. Although, it was not until I was induced at exactly 40 weeks (since the baby was so big) and was told by the nurse and my MOTHER (who's also a Labor & Delivery nurse) that I was contracting. I then was totally ticked that I'd been having contractions since month 5 and never knew that's what it was. It was probably better that way. I was a serious worrier! After the induction, I had to be sectioned anyway because my 9lb 5oz girl was NOT coming out. What a whirlwind!

Emily said...

Awe, I remember the first time I met Libby. And Jack's reaction to her! lol. She was such a gorgeous little baby!

Emily said...

And both your girls are still the smallest little babies I've ever held!

Megan R. said...

Wow, Libby was pretty much HALF the size of Carson! I spent about 6 weeks on bed rest due to high BP as well, I can totally relate. It's awful. I also had gestational diabetes that was insulin resistant, so I had to be on 80 units of insulin (in the stomach) every night. I hated pregnancy. She was such a cute little peanut!

Heidi @ Blue Eyed Blessings said...

Oh, Lauren...what an experience! I can't imagine having to be on bed rest. Sweet Libby is so tiny. Mikayla was 9 pounds, 3 ounces!! After being induced on a Thursday (high bp and overdue with big baby), I finally had her through c-section on Saturday morning. Yes, 2 days of being in the hospital! They were going to send me home to "go in labor on my own", but they decided to try and pop my bag of water first, and then that got the ball rolling (a bit). Brings back memories...